oneohtwo

Snapped Bonnet Release Cable

Right, had the bonnet release cable snap at the clip that holds it into the release handle and unfortunately the cable has disappeared up the tube which is a massive pain in the a**e!

I've got the passenger (nearside) clip open easily enough - you can just pull the black tube back to reveal the cable and with a pair of pliers jobs a good'un. But the drivers (offside) has me stumped as you can't pull the cable.

I've read threads and the wiki which says the offside is the easy one! And can be got at by jacking up and reaching up behind the cross member. In fairness, it's not wrong - you can reach it, just not in any meaningful way surely? I've spent a good hour with my arm jammed up behind the rad groping at the metal spring with my fingertips, but it's too far to get any sort of grip on. I've also got a screwdriver up behind the spring to try and lever it but it won't budge. I've got reasonable slim arms as well!

What am I missing? Anyone got any suggestions?

Have you tried someone pressing down on the bonnet, right hand side where the clip is. ..whilst someone else tries pulling the cable to release !! Idea being that the locking pin isn't under as much resistance. May be worth a try as it has worked for others.

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ah, no didn't have a willing helper, but sounds like it could help, thanks! I guess I'd still have to be trying to reach it from underneath as on that side the cable is free to pull through the connector and only works when there is resistance at the other end.

I guess ultimately I could get the bumper off, might help access.

Hold the release handle open with the seat belt and you'll be able to do it yourself. I inadvertently locked one side in place when replacing my bonnet pins.

Have you tried someone pressing down on the bonnet, right hand side where the clip is. ..whilst someone else tries pulling the cable to release !! Idea being that the locking pin isn't under as much resistance. May be worth a try as it has worked for others.

Cressa

Got it open in the end with a helpful assistant (gf) as suggested, so thanks for the advice! Required reaching up with a screwdriver to lever the release by the trumpet whilst they pushed down.

Have now strapped a chord around it and fed past the radiator so have a temporary emergency release until I sort a new cable.

Great result mate. I've fitted hidden wires, so if it goes wrong, I can hook them from behind the grille.

Well done

Got it open in the end with a helpful assistant (gf) as suggested, so thanks for the advice! Required reaching up with a screwdriver to lever the release by the trumpet whilst they pushed down.

Have now strapped a chord around it and fed past the radiator so have a temporary emergency release until I sort a new cable.

Give Easypops on this forum a shout, he was selling replacement cables that he'd got from the States a while back.

Well, fitted a new bonnet release cable (and only after my emergency release cord snapped, so back under the car!) and just as I was tightening up the trumpet grip bolt head shears off! if it isn't one thing...

I really should have got a new one at the same time, but thought it would be fine. I am now unsure whether it's set up ok to open the bonnet, or how I am going to remove the trumpet to fit a new one... Grrr. Very frustrating. Have had to leave the bonnet open whilst I rig up another temporary opening system.

Anyone any ideas on how to remove the trumpet without destroying the cable?!

Do you need to? I’d leave it until the new cable breaks or slam panels needs to come off, trumpets are discontinued item aren’t they?

Edit, just read your post fully, can you tie a wire round the release mech (that the trumpet pulls) to get bonnet free if trumpet is not located properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by edd

Yeah, I've got some chord to the release mech through behind the grill so I can release the bonnet ok and that works, so I am not completely stuck thankfully. But yes, unfortunately I didn't have the trumpet located properly, there was still a bit of slack in the cable so it only opens one side. If I want the proper cable release to work I'll have to replace it.

Only way I can think of is to very carefully drill out the grub nut. Looks like it would be an absolute pain though! VW Heritage do stainless trumpets I believe, looked at them when I bought the cable but thought changing them as well was unnecessary!

Edit: Just seen you were looking for these as well recently, and they are still out of stock on VW Heritage. Did you ever find any others? Spoonfedtuning do them but for such a small part it seems extravagant to ship from the US...

Edited by oneohtwo