Aaron10

2.0sdi mk5 golf starting problems, any suggestions

Hi guys i have the above car as a runner whilst the Corrado is garaged for the winter. Just seeing if anyone in here can give me some advice on an intermittent starting problem..

Basically some mornings the car starts no issue and runs fine but the odd time i go out (mainly whilst sitting for 8-10 hours) it will try to start but just cranks and cranks and no matter how long you try it won't fire. It will however start whilst bump starting on the tow or down a steep hill. After its warm it starts like it should. I could go out the next morning and have no issues what's so ever for days then boom will just happen randomly again.

Open to all suggestions. Car has high miles and was not expensive but i just want it reliable enough to start when i turn the key.

Thanks to any answers !!

Aaron

Diesels need a good battery and a fast cranking speed when cold to create heat in a compression ignition engine.

With the pump being on the engine and sucking fuel via the fuel lines back to the tank if the pipe work or filter have a leak air enters the fuel line and fuel drains back to the tank giving long cranking the next time you try to start

change the glow plugs if its a high mileage car, we had a failed one which caused starting issues...