oneohtwo

Small Coolant Leak

Seem to have developed a small coolant leak which appears to be coming from the upper coolant pipe that runs into the back of the engine block.

Noticed a very minor bit of steam, barely even noticeable traced it to the back of the engine bay and the casing was very wet. Initially worried that the head gasket might be leaking, but then noticed the pipe above was wet and could see where it had run down so don't think it is that bad. Coolant levels were normal when I pulled over.

y4mT1fDrlZt79eS9JMZbCFKlhFnKh1FHLvKZuM-hlVFfqhiJoLXUYIesHIYwPiLnx-UpX4uYieCELE2-W1A_xMK5a9ftiVxX45_8x92sJf0B1Qopj6fhCCp7PLlhm5vhznoR5MtTr86eO6pSAbDzYP0zuu-FCBtoTpphDpWDpTLH7RkGj14w88kLnjwPMc8Zn2XUq3WP0Q4QDChJvL7vA0_YA?width=576&height=1024&cropmode=none

You can see the green spring clip around the pipe is wet. Any one have any idea why it might be leaking here? I guess the pipe is just old rubber and no longer seals well. Is there anything else it might be?

Seems like it should be easy enough to fit a new pipe to fix? Unfortunately I am away from home so going to have to get it towed though! :(

That is usually the first pipe to fail on a VR6. It will go just above the green clip where it flexes as the engine moves.

Get a new one. Mine went most impressively and ****ed brown water all over the underside of the bonnet..

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Edited by dr_mat

Most likely its corrosion to the stub that's pressed into the head or the hose has become porous or pinched - you may be able to trim a little off it if that's the case.

Thanks, in a way it is reassuring to know those pipes go first! My old radiator was a bit poor and it used to run quite hot for a while so that may have contributed to it. Sounds like it should be an easy fix then. Will have to see what hoses are available.

Half tempted to drive home as it's not far and such a small leak... but probably a bit too much of a risk. Best not to mess with the cooling.

Should be able to do a couple of miles like that. Nice thing is the vr has an oil temp sensor. Watch that like a hawk.

VW still sell the hoses.

I doubt the failure is related to anything else, it's just brittle with age and heat cycling, and it's a point which flexes. A new hose will last the same amount of time again.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.