Sign in to follow this  
kangaroo

Removing streaky haze from paintwork

Ever since I got my C its had a slightly streaky-haze on the paintwork. Its occurs in sort of circular patches, as if it follows the pattern of someone's attempts at polishing the car. But its only ever visible in very sunny light levels, where the reflection of the sun shows up the streaks. On dull, cloudy days, the paintwork looks smoother than a Steinway.

Can anyone recommend anything to remove this funny haze? Preferably not too expensive either... I've tried using Autogylm super resin polish, of which I had an old bottle in the garage, but it hasn't cured it.

Thanks!

Hi mate, I'm in the process of trying Zymol as I heard good things from fellow forum users, as the paintwork on my motor aint to jolly either... :roll:

Paint rubber won't do any harm.

Can be had for between £10 and £30 depending if you get proper finishing solution as well.

The sun just popped out, so I went to take a picture as an example. You can just about see the streakyness I was trying to explain (if you ignore the dust and dirt... ahem).

Dark colours tend to show this more in direct sun light, if i was you i'd try using a cleanser first to remove what sounds like swirl marks will also remove water marks, acid rain spots etc. Once you have done this working in a small area at a time then apply a good wax (carnauba based) also use microfibre cloth to buff the wax. This worked well for me got rid of swirl marks and the results were very good i use a cleanser and wax called P21S for more info look here - http://www.thepolishingcompany.com

g-master, that kit from the polishing company looks good, and a reasonable price. I may try that first. Cheers.

A friend just gave me a bottle of zymol stuff he had lying around, its called a "cleanser". Is this the stuff you're on about Bally? Its light blue in colour and smells absolutely gorgeous, like pineapples and coconuts. I could eat it :wink:

It's pretty good, I'd say its removed 50% of the swirly marks, and the paint is a shade darker in colours. The only problem is there wasn't much left in the bottle, and so I've only got one side of the car done!! I'd recommend it though, and my mate said it was relatively cheap.

Anyway, I've also ordered the P21S stuff from the website above, so we'll see how that goes.

My valver suffered from this too. Looks amazing normally but when the sun shone on it directly it looked like a stainless steel sink or something! What's the cause of the swirling? I'd rather it didn't show up on my VR6! :wink:

Bojmobile, haha, stainless steel sink! that's the best description of it yet :)

I'm not entirely sure what's caused it... my best guess is that the car's been subjected to years of washing with slightly abrasive cleaners. A lot of people use a brush to do the bodywork too, which is just terrible :roll:

(Addendum: I just found this site which tells you all about swirl marks and how to prevent them)

Kangarooboy, thats a good site some useful info :wink: i see you have ordered P21S for the money i reckon it's brilliant! ! in fact i use alot of stuff from the Polishing company it's all very good. :D

I've actually just ordered some cloths from the Polishing Company and have to say that so far I am very impressed with the Company.

I ordered about a tenners worth of cloths and the guy emailed me to say that as the £5 postage was quite steep considering the size of the order, did I want a free cloth chucked in for free.

Considering that was after they've already taken the order, I was gobsmacked! I have to say that I wish more places were like this. It's only a small gesture but, in my book, it means a hell of a lot!

Zymol does a cracking job.. made my paint come up a treat! Went from just green to this beautiful deep petrol kinda colour.. I always big it up on these forums, and yes, it does smell like girlie moisturising products or something bizarre :)

A friend just gave me a bottle of zymol stuff he had lying around, its called a "cleanser". Is this the stuff you're on about Bally? Its light blue in colour and smells absolutely gorgeous, like pineapples and coconuts. I could eat it :wink:

It's pretty good, I'd say its removed 50% of the swirly marks, and the paint is a shade darker in colours. The only problem is there wasn't much left in the bottle, and so I've only got one side of the car done!! I'd recommend it though, and my mate said it was relatively cheap.

Anyway, I've also ordered the P21S stuff from the website above, so we'll see how that goes.

Not to sure to be honest mate, I'll have a look tonight & let you no :D

thats a cleaner wax polish you got there,when polishing your car try doing it in straight lines rather than in a circular pattern

Using a clean applicator or a small terrycloth towel, apply a generous amount of Cleaner Wax evenly to a two or three square foot section with a straight-line, side-to-side movement.

Note: Do not use a circular motion when spreading Cleaner Wax.

Work Cleaner Wax into the finish with a medium to heavy pressure until the surface becomes slightly tacky.

Gently buff with a clean zymöl Micro-Wipe™ to reveal the true, clean finish of your car (the paint feels silky smooth).

Can be used with an Orbital Buffer and Wool Pad.

taken from http://www.zymol.com

thats a cleaner wax polish you got there,when polishing your car try doing it in straight lines rather than in a circular pattern

Using a clean applicator or a small terrycloth towel, apply a generous amount of Cleaner Wax evenly to a two or three square foot section with a straight-line, side-to-side movement.

Note: Do not use a circular motion when spreading Cleaner Wax.

Work Cleaner Wax into the finish with a medium to heavy pressure until the surface becomes slightly tacky.

Gently buff with a clean zymöl Micro-Wipe™ to reveal the true, clean finish of your car (the paint feels silky smooth).

Can be used with an Orbital Buffer and Wool Pad.

taken from http://www.zymol.com

Good job you added that at the bottom mate, thought that you where working for Zymol and gave a sort of sales mans pitch!!! :lol: