Sign in to follow this  
M777CUSGTI

What are 1.816v like?

areet geezers! :D

so on my quest to find a C ive come across a pretty promising 1.816v,

but before i get too serious on it i got a few questiuons to ask, they may be lame but im new to this Corrado business!

1. what insurance group are they?

2. do they have the same engine as a mk2 golf 16v?

3. how do they compare to a mk2 16v performance wise?

4. Common problems, things to look for?

jus a few Q's.

thanks in advance dudes, you have been a great help so far :wink:

Off the top of my head....

1. About group 15

2. They have the same engine apart from a slightly more restrictive inlet manifold I believe

3. They have a little less power than the Golf (136bhp instead of 139bhp), due to the inlet manifold, and they're heavier so they're a bit slower than the Golf.

4. http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5124

but before i get too serious on it i got a few questiuons to ask, they may be lame but im new to this Corrado business!

jus a few Q's.

1- group 15........they are the cheapest to insure

2-basically yes

3-slightly slower to 60mph but due to better aerodynamics they should have a higher top speed

4-engine-wise the same problems that 1.8 16v's can have,body trim and Corrado specific bits to look out for are in the buying guide we have in the common Corrado questions section

I have just bought one!!

They are a good car and for obviuos reasons like they look so nice and any C is good to drive.

I have a POLO G40 with 170 BHP and 170lbs/ft so speed was'nt the reason I bought my corrado cos it can't compare to a biscuit tin with 170BHP!!!....lol

Having said that the 1.8 16V still proves to be quick enough for me for a run around car and is more than enough to keep you up with any other car on the motorways! it is on paper the second quickest to 60 out of the corrado's even though and the miles per gallon average at 34 MPG which is pretty good.

If you want to drive it fast you will need to keep the revs up near the top and thats where they are best.(which is weird for me cos the G40 is all bottom and mid!).

Look out for heavy oil breathers!! this will be a sign of high engine wear.

I wrote my valver off about 6 weeks ago and am now looing for a replacement but I'm looking for a G60 this time, but my valver was great, lovely to drive, gorgeous to look at just like the all the other C's, and if im honest to myself fast enough for everyday driving :oops: and at least with the valver theyre cheap to run (well, cheaper than the other models anyway) :lol: , fairly economical, but do read the buying guide, at least youre lucky enough to have found this forum before you bought one, I unfortunately bought one before reading the common faults so I bought one with broken door handles, faulty spoiler, FAULTY BONNET CATCH :mad: etc etc and like I say after fixing everything except the bonnet catch :roll: which caused the write off it was condemned as a total loss, so good luck to you mate and hope to see your new C (whichever model you go for) up here soon with some pics 8)

As mentioned above same engine as golf, with exception of inlet manifold which is smaller bore to provide better mid range torque at expense of top end - hence 3hp difference, though you can easily swap manifold.

The golf is slightly lighter i think :?: but is definitely geared differently hence it feels quicker of the line, however rado will purr quite nicely past the golf at top end.

I'm not gonna start on the problems :lol: good luck

what does it have major flaws then mate? :?:

think he just means the usual complement of Corrado problems in general. As far as I'm concerned after nearly 6 years of 16v ownership it's a damn fine engine in a damn fine car. Keep the revs up and it can fly along quite nicely.

what does it have major flaws then mate? :?:

think he just means the usual complement of Corrado problems in general.

Yep just mean usual corrado problems, such as fog lights/ indicators lens getting busted by stones, headlights are vague, windscreen wipers don't work well as standard, door handles break unless great care taken.... I've had all these problems first hand, but don't let it put you off a cracking car - and they can all be sorted for little expense 8)

This is my second valver and i love em, which is why i'm taking it off road this week for the serious modding to begin :D

Yeah actually last night I was driving along and it was flying, not sure if it had anything to do with me washing it finally.......lol

But it made me think it really is a performance car! go for one if money is tight they are by all means a very good performing car!

Yes, all Corrado's have power steering, although don't expect it to feel light, as it's for the sportier driver.

Never intentionally raced anything, although have had other people have a go! Have overtaken and surprised loads of things though! Took me a few years to really learn how to get the best out of the 16v, basically the technique seems to involve wringing it's neck, (but not to the red line) they love it! So do I! :D

well,

its all about style with a corrado i guess 8)

i should keep the mk2 16valver then maybe?

yeh rite! :lol:

i aint that rich :lol:

this forum is quality 8)

same kind of atmosphere as the fiat coupe forum, OBSESSION, i like it.

totally diffrent feel to my regular forum golfgti.co.uk :D

If you have a nice Mk2 16v then make sure you get a decent C 16v or you may be unhappy.......our 16v Golf never seems to miss a beat and goes like *hit off a shov**............., if you get an unreliable C then it will cost you dearly and wont be as quick...................be more comfortable though.

Not trying to put you off just hold out for a decent one and dont jump at the 1st one you see!

thanks dude 8)

i love my valver,

but like i sed before i used to have a fiat coupe 20v T,

and i want to get back into coupe ownership!! 8)

I have been a mk2 golf 1.6 driver who has just bought a Corrado 1.8 16V - i had the 1.6 mk2 golf for 1 year and a 1.3litre one for 1 year too.

I had heard how there was not much difference with the Golf GTis and some people had even sadi they had prefered it - so i didnt expect too much

But, but, BUT - one thing no one has mentioned here is the handling!

For me the speed is great - buts its the handling that is fantastic! My C has been lowered by 35mm but i dont think this makes that much difference in terms of handling - it just sticks to the road!

In my view the Corrado is a different league to the mk2 golf in terms of the drive - but yes - it must be high revs for you to get a feel for the power - they kick in above 4000RPM - for me i'll never look back to the golfs now i've entered the Corrado world! :D

CorradoWannabe, Yep, well said, the handling, looks, and comfort of the Corrado are in a different league IMO. Have heard several previous Golf owners (including me) comment you could sit in a Corrado all day, but not a Golf! Don't get me wrong, like the Golf too (it's a VW after all), but give me the Corrado any day.

I have had both! My old Golf was a valver, then converted it to 2litre ABF motor out of a Seat Ibiza! Went like stink then, fitted coilovers to it and ARB's, but it still didn't handle as` well as my C!

Cannot believe that they have the same suspension compoinents.....the corrado is just in a different league!

Also the equipment levels......My C and my golf were/are both '90 models, but my C has Electric "one touch" windows, leccy tilt/slide sunroof, PAS, electric heated mirrors, active spoiler, total closure and sexy leather seats......my Golf had electric windows and PAS! No competion really....

Ditch the hatch (Common as mook) and go for the C.....you won't regret it!

:D

Steve

It's incredible the difference to any other car you sit in actually!

My G40 seems tiny and like a little go-kart after driving the corrado around.......lol. Even my mothers rover 220 which is a biggish cabin. You sit in the corrado and it's great. Deffinatly the best car I've driven for comfort and handling etc.

Oh and if you have a VR6 bonnet it's mad cos the the bulge just larks out and makes the front of the car look alot longer.........lol

Echo what's being said about the handling. Not driven many Golfs, but compared my C to a mates Mk2 GTi about 6 years ago and there was no comparison on a twisty demanding road. As we flew through the first couple of corners in the C my mate simply shook his head and said the Golf would never have made it. I drive a Subaru Impreza now, but still have the C (G/F drives it) and I'd have to say, mid corner it's every bit as Quick as my Scoob. Doesn't stand a chance once I'm on boost at the apex though :lol:

Insurance Group 15

Yup indeed they do.

Golf is slightly quicker off the mark

Problems with hot starting, heat matrix bypass relief valve (causes heater to play up and sometimes pops the matrix), rear BIAS brake valve seizes, rear calipers seize, top end can get noisy over 100k miles.... other than that its just normal Corrado problems :lol:

Scott

jus a few Q's.

4.Common problems, things to look for?

Problems with hot starting

very true, this is happening most times mine is left in sun