petemcr

Headlamp Retaining Screw Advice

Anyone got any tips or tricks on how to remove a rather rusty retaining screw for the headlights, need to swap out my headlamp but the head on the screw is completely rusted and not the easiest to access to put the dremel on to it.

I was going to drill it out but thought I would ask see if anyone has more than likely come across this before.

Cheers

Which screw are you talking about - one of the two on top or the one at the back? They actually screw into a plastic clip that sits in a hole cut in the bodywork. If you can get at them from behind you can use pliers to pry off the plastic clip and it will just lift out - getting access is the hard part though.

Hey,

Sorry yeah, should have really said which one, but you're right it's the one at the back of the head lamp. The slam panel is off the car at the moment which makes it a little easier, I just didn't want to ruin the fixing as I have a replacement headlight I would like to put back in.

I'll give it a go with the clamp though and see if I can remove it, it looked a bit of a mess though last time I check.

Cheers

Ah ok. Yep, stainless is a good call. The plastic fixings were available from the dealer the last time I needed some, or that kind of stuff is often on the bay if you need a replacement one.

They are used in a few other places round the engine bay/slam panel as well, so you might be able to use a less essential one as a replacement while you wait for new ones to arrive.

Thanks guys, worked a treat.

Managed to get it out now and get the new headlamp in, so that's great but the cars not on the road at the moment so I can source something to replace it. Take it you use a Stainless screw instead to avoid them rusting in place in the future?

I've replace all the slam panel bolts now with stainless bolts to avoid them rusting in the future.