P3rks

VR6 - Oil (5w40??)

Hello,

I've just picked up a VR6, 90k on the clock. I always change the oil and filter on any used car I've just bought (for the piece of mind).

For the past 8 years it's been serviced annually by the previous owner using (formally known as Silkolene) Fuchs Titan Race Pro S - 5w40

I've had a quick search and some of you boys use the 10w50 for your engines.

The engine in this VR is actually silky smooth, doesn't seem to burn any oil and is relatively quiet on cold start and when warm. The car will only be used in the dry months, but over winter i'll likley pull it out of the garage every now and then.

Should I stick with the 5w40 or switch to the thicker stuff?

If it's running spot on I'd say keep the 5w40.

I've just serviced my 51k miler with 5w40 and it seems very happy :)

5w40 is ok, just means the viscosity at lower temps will be achieved sooner as opposed to 10w40. I use a 50/50 mixture of 5w40 and 10w60 (both fully synthetic) more because of the slight oil consumption (hence use of the 10w60)

Definitely stick with that if its happy. If you are finding your engine runs higher oil temps you could consider it but sounds like a good one so I wouldn't bother. Mine used to run quite hot and use oil so I switched to 10w50 and it was happier but it was quite an old engine