Dr Forinor

Dash cam

Anyone thought about this? Or has one fitted?

I ideally want to fit one that looks as OEM as possible, not an obvious camera sticking out like a sore thumb.

I've looked at mirror style dash cams but I don't know what's good and what's not.

Any advice/information on this, please?

I've got the A118c dash cam,

complete with rear camera.

The main front camera is roughly 8 mega pixel,

and the rear facing one is roughly 1 mega pixel, the rear one is pants really, it's ok if you're stuck in traffic as you can clearly see the car behind then, again at night it's even worse it just looks like you have a load of UFOs behind you :lol:

The front camera is really clear during daylight hours or at night.

It fits behind your interior view mirror so does look fairly OEM. The rear camera you have to attach to the rear window or head lining trim, or possibly it can attach to your rear bumper but if you do that you'll have to keep wiping it clean.

I think they cost from £38 up to £65

Si

Edited by vw rule

I think it's A118c or A119c Novatek, the one I have.

Plus when I was looking for a dash cam about 18 months ago, there was a good dash cam that attached to your interior mirror, it had loads of apps built into it, including Bluetooth for hands free calling.

It was on Ebay a while ago.

Si

I've had the miwitness front and rear kit for years, is a good bit of kit, the original one was a smooth piano black and looked nice which is why i got it. But the latest model doesn't looks as simple/clean

I’ve got a Nextbase fitted in my daily driver which is a Touareg, so the fact it sits to the side and behind the mirror is not a problem - bought it cos of the good reviews. Think it may be a little more noticeable in a Corrado, perhaps best to google some reviews for mirror mounted cams and see from there.

I've not got one in my Corrado but in my A4 I have a Ddpai M6 plus. It's quite small and the picture quality is excellent

I've had one of these for a year or two and although cheap they are excellent and very small, good picture, wide angle and number plates are easily readable, just leave it on the out of the box 2 minute recording and old file overwrite, easily hidden out of the drivers view to the side of and behind the rear view mirror, more expensive cameras like the Nextbase have nice magnetic fixings but I've been quite impressed with this little cheap one.

about £32 when I got one but a bargain currently for £22.99!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOGUARD-Blackbox-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Detection-Dashcam/dp/B01E6M084A/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530882895&sr=1-5&keywords=dash+cam

Hi been reading this as i might get a dashcam.how are people running the wire to them.do you remove it when the car is parked up

My wiring runs from the back of the headunit, along inside of dash over glovebox and up the A-pillar then under headlining to the rear view mirror and also down the side of roof to the rear camera.

I leave mine in the car as it has a parking mode where it will detect movement and record for 20secs, so if someone drives into your car you can see who.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:09 PM, vw rule said:

I've got the A118c dash cam,

complete with rear camera.

The main front camera is roughly 8 mega pixel,

and the rear facing one is roughly 1 mega pixel, the rear one is pants really, it's ok if you're stuck in traffic as you can clearly see the car behind then, again at night it's even worse it just looks like you have a load of UFOs behind you :lol:

The front camera is really clear during daylight hours or at night.

It fits behind your interior view mirror so does look fairly OEM. The rear camera you have to attach to the rear window or head lining trim, or possibly it can attach to your rear bumper but if you do that you'll have to keep wiping it clean.

I think they cost from £38 up to £65

Si

This was my old dash cam set up in my previous car the MK3 Polo, since then I've bought a newer car my 2015 SEAT Ibiza and fitted in another dash cam, this set up again has front and rear cameras, but both are roughly 10 mega pixel, so has crystal clear recording. The dash cam is the VIOFO A129 has full built in GPS & Wi-Fi, you have the option to purchase the hard wire kit if you want it wired in permanently off ignition, or you can simply plug it into your 12v auxiliary socket, plus can use a small battery pack if or when in parking mode.

VIOFO A129 is £150 to £155 new from Amazon, I got mine for just over £100 as I had some gift vouchers.

The only criticism of this unit is it only accepts genuine VIOFO memory SD cards.

https://images.app.goo.gl/csQFQwioSJkd9WiF6

Si