carrots

Headlights still poor

Ive just drove the corrado in the dark 1st time this year.i cant believe how crap the lights are with loom upgrade and philips 150% racing bulbs.anything new about to upgrade them

If your reflectors are corroded this might reduce the light output - also check the upgraded loom connectors and the battery terminals it connects to for corrosion. An easy check is also to check for voltage at the connector at the headlight - see what you're getting there.

These lights are also sensitive to correct alignment, and even a slight error there can put the beam in the wrong place and reduce visibility. It will never compare to a modern car, but with the upgrades you've mentioned it should be quite acceptable and safe.

The lights are fading these days. After 20+ years the silvering goes hazy and in some cases it's just come off. They don't put out as much light as they used to. Mine has been flagged up on the mot for about five years in a row...

Anyone got any ideas where to get a headlight adjuster for a Corrado headlamp ... ?? Seems like a good job for a 3D printer for the small plastic component that collapses when you touch it when you're trying to refurbish them ..

Nope, I've only seen the small plastic end piece that clips into the back of the reflector. The bit that disintegrates is the plastic grommet that holds the adjuster screw in the back of the headlight housing itself. That bit I've not been able to find anywhere.

For the record, today I succeeded in using a pair of adjusters off a MK1 Scirocco (£2 each from VW heritage), an M5 lock nut and a 40mm penny washer to knock up a mostly suitable replacement for the broken beam adjuster piece.

So this, coupled with a pair of Bosch +90% bulbs and a pair of reflectors that I had refurbed by Dual Metallising (a great job by the way, so impressively *shiny* they look when they come back), and I believe I now have headlights almost as good as new...!

The pictures shows the original adjuster screw forced into the plastic adjuster thing from a Scirocco (which is too small but if you're careful you can expand the hole to accept the corrado adjuster screw without splitting it), but coincidentally does catch into the recesses in the headlamp housing. The locking nut on the outside therefore grips the headlamp housing between the penny washer and the Scirocco adjuster grommit. It's really a pain to use, as I found that you need to use the chuck of a battery drill to grip the screw to actually make adjustments. But once it's adjusted it's fine...

Edited by dr_mat