robrado974

Ceramic coating.

Morning everyone. I will be reading up on this at the weekend. Has anyone on here had this treatment to their car . You thoughts and any input would be appreciated.

Rob

Not sure if it was you asked the same question on FB Rob?

I had my daily, a Scirocco, ceramic coated about six months ago & I think it works really well. That said once a car has been ceramic coated they have to be maintained properly using the correct type of shampoo & I think this is where a lot of people have problems as with the incorrect type of maintenance wash the ceramic coating can be damaged & not work as it should. I wouldn't have a ceramic coat on my Corrado though as it doesn't get used every day & the paint is not exposed .to the same level of contaminants. I've just popped outside & took a picture as it's raining! Coating done over six months ago & not washed for a month & still beading nicely.

https://i.imgur.com/iuVAmlo.jpg[/img]"]iuVAmlo.jpg

PfLw28w.jpg

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

The big brands offer top up type spray bottles Rob. I've used GTechniq on my old Golf and it was great - though I sold it about 4 months later.

I've also used Carpro Cquartz and I don't know if it was an issue with application as it kind of misted up, but I wasn't that impressed with the finish and it didn't seem to last that well either.

Are you planning to do it yourself or get a pro to apply it Rob?

Hi Sean , nice to hear from you . If I was to get it done , I wouldn’t do it myself, I’d definitely get a professional to do it . Trouble is there are people that say it’s brilliant and those that say it’s a gimmick. Its a lot of dough to lay out .

Hi Sean , nice to hear from you . If I was to get it done , I wouldn’t do it myself, I’d definitely get a professional to do it . Trouble is there are people that say it’s brilliant and those that say it’s a gimmick. Its a lot of dough to lay out .

I'd leave it to the professionals but at the end of the day it's down to personal choice!

It is a lot but you can get excellent results if applied by a good pro. You can add wax on top as a sacrificial layer as well so it'll last longer, but most of them will last a year or so. With yours living outside I'd be on the fence if I'm honest mate. A good machine and protection by a pro, then regular long lasting waxes by yourself may be better value

I'm not sure about the ceramic coating thing, not that long term proven I don't think. Like you I've got fresh paint to protect but luckily I've just finished building a garage for the rado's so I can finally protect them from the elements. Just a good wax for me by me I think.

I'm not sure about the ceramic coating thing, not that long term proven I don't think. Like you I've got fresh paint to protect but luckily I've just finished building a garage for the rado's so I can finally protect them from the elements. Just a good wax for me by me I think.

Same. I find a good wax lasts way longer than a year when garaged so no need for the ceramic coating, could be of interest for the daily though!

Hello Rob have a read of the info in the attached link below it shows all the good and bad points with Ceramic Coating.

https://exclusivedetail.com/ceramic-coating-for-cars/

For me personally I'd probably go for the paint protection film as it normally lasts 3 to 4 years, before it needs reapplying again & gives miles better protection against stone chips, scratches and other marks.

The Ceramic Coating doesn't seem to protect anywhere near as good as the paint protection film from stone chips, I remember seeing some of the cars having the paint protection film on them over 20 years ago when I used to work for Peugeot, mainly when the new 406 and 206 first came out.

Apparently the Ceramic Coating has fairly good protection against the sun's UV rays, but doesn't stop any paint fading or damage but generally just slows it's affects down.

It really depends what you're looking for Rob as regards to paint protection, but either way I'd definitely get a professional to apply which ever coating you decide.

Si

Edited by vw rule

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96578[/ATTACH]

Have a read of the info of the How Long Does Ceramic Coating Last?, Side by Side Comparison of Protective Car Coatings and Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid While Applying Ceramic Coating.

https://www.bestnetreview.com/best-ceramic-coating-for-cars/

From my personal experience, I found ceramic coating not scratch resistant. It just makes your car glossy, can protect your paint from dirt, nasty waters, UV rays etc. It not lasts too many years. I found 3-4 yrs maximum. Many service providers and sellers demand 5-10 years but I don't think so. Many demand scratch proof or scratch resistant, but not at all. From all the perspective, I found that article best and said the many true things about ceramic coating and the myths also.