ov_nanne

Full VR6 AFP mk4 swap into a vr6 corrado

Hello. First post in a while. So my vr6 abv engine died today . Im looking into options since it seems its a connecting rod. So im considering a full swap to a vr6 afp 12valve and transmission plus harness and ecu from a mk4 donnor. The ecu is already immobilizer-removed. Couldnt find a thread with info about pros and cons on this swap. Has anybody got info about viability and details? Im basically looking into throwing in engine, transmission and ecu in on my corrado. Appreciate any feedback. Cheer$$$$!!! 🍺🍻

Ahh that's not good! Well a quick google and I presume you are across the pond from the AFP engine code, although not sure where you are as I thought america got a 2.8 corrado. Anyway, we don't have mk4 12v vr6's over here in the UK so I can only go from wikipedia 'facts' but I presume it's just an OBD2 2.8 VR6. On paper you'll be about 15bhp down but on the road, the OBD2 has much better torque curve so you'll get better acceleration with slightly reduced top end grunt.

Loom will need converting as mk4's have a different fusebox to mk3's/corrado's and probably some other bits, other option might be to just swap everything over from your old engine, might need a remap to run 100% but should work.

You can use the AFP block with the corrado inlet etc, the blocks and heads are the same as the AAA and ABV, think its the cams that differ though due to the variable inlet on the AFP. And i think the AFP has an EGR system which can be blanked off.

Hello. First post in a while. So my vr6 abv engine died today . Im looking into options since it seems its a connecting rod. So im considering a full swap to a vr6 afp 12valve and transmission plus harness and ecu from a mk4 donnor. The ecu is already immobilizer-removed. Couldnt find a thread with info about pros and cons on this swap. Has anybody got info about viability and details? Im basically looking into throwing in engine, transmission and ecu in on my corrado. Appreciate any feedback. Cheer$$$$!!! 🍺🍻

So i got the donnor cae. A 2006 3.2 touareg Bmx engine. Much nicer than the AFP i was considering initially. Will use an upgraded mk4 02J tranny and All stock harness and ecu from the touareg.

Is the Touareg an in-line engine? Auto too? Is the engine ecu also used for the tranny?

Mk4 gearbox will have the engine revving it’s nuts off because for the smaller rolling circumference of the Corrado tyres in comparison to the Jetta.

If the above is correct you’re doing it the hard way

Are the mounting points for the afp block the same as the abv? 4 bolts on the back for the aluminium bracket and I assume the front mount by the starter is the same.