Roger Blassberg

Sound deadening carpet underlay

The carpets are out due to major floor welding.....before I replace them, is there a good sound insulation underlay that anyone can recommend please.

And what is the best way to clean the carpets? Washing machine? Hire a carpet wet cleaner/ vacuum?

Best wishes

RB

I used a jet washer... my car had stood for 4+ years and had a lot of water ingress... the carpets stank but were not worn. I covered it in soap (Persil from memory) allowed it to soak and jet washed it off, carpet is now mint!

We used to do this years ago when I worked in a panel shop - car carpet is pretty strong and will dry very quickly... this was out of the car obviously ;)

Is that the same insulation as Heritage sell ?, I also got the carpet from Newton . I put the sticky grey stuff down first , I got the double insulation and found it was too thick . I struggled to get the seats on the runners. I had to remove one layer of the insulation and I still can’t fit the seat runners plastics on .

Rob, what thickness did you use? 6mm plus a mass barrier should be fine. Perhaps you could trim it slightly by the runners?

I replaced the soundproofing in mine hs summer with some closed cell foam and a mass loaded vinyl. Noise is now more through the doors but its quieter than before

Roger i just used some persil and a hard brush on mine. They dried quite quickly although it was during the summer. Makes them smell nice too!

I used this stuff, like you I tried the acoustic foam and it's to thick...

Mine is very similar to this , I bought the deluxe set , which is basically double . I did use the closed cell product as well Hasan . I’m not sure what to do with it at the moment.

As for cleaning the carpet, I put mine in the washing machine .

Just to be clear . I used closed cell first, then the deluxe underlay. I tried to put the new carpet down and it proved difficult. I then removed one layer of the underlay but struggled to get my seats in , let alone the plastic runners . I’m repainting the seats over the winter so I will take another look. The newton carpet is thicker than the Oem one too , it’s not very forgiving when fitting either.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Unfortunately I have missed the warm weather for optimal carpet drying, but a wetvac should deal with the worst of it.

I am optimistic that the car will be back with me by Christmas, front nearside wing and hatch door replaced and floor welding completed, and a glass-out total respray.

Best wishes

RB

Latest......

I cleaned the carpets with a hosepipe, some Aeriel and a stiff brush, followed by multiple rinse/spin cycles in the washing machine. It was a struggle to get the carpets in and out, one side at a time, but we have a large drum machine and they come out almost dry if you put the carpet in with the pile facing outwards. Very effective.

Work continues on the body, no huge rush. Photos to follow.

Best wishes

RB

Mine is very similar to this , I bought the deluxe set , which is basically double . I did use the closed cell product as well Hasan . I’m not sure what to do with it at the moment.

As for cleaning the carpet, I put mine in the washing machine .

Rob? You wouldn't by any chance remember the thickness of the insulation used would you? That link to the products is not active unfortunately.

I've still got the original carpet in mine so hopefully should be flexible enough but i'm looking to add either 6mm or, if possible, 10mm of open cell foam under the carpet. I've got 6mm closed cell on the floor and some mass loaded barrier vinyl on at present.

Thanks

I would say between 8mm and 12 mm at a guess Hasan . You could ring Heritage, that’s where I purchased mine from . Sorry I can’t be exact mate .It may be thinner, I’m not sure .

I bought the deluxe underlay and I’ve still got it in the box, I’ll give it a measure once I’m home either tonight or tomorrow morning, if I can remember where I’ve stashed it :lol:

This is the product I bought Martin. I fitted the closed cell stuff , then put the deluxe underlay in , then the new carpet from newton commercial. I then found out the seats would not slide . The new carpet is thicker than Oem . I had to remove one layer of the underlay.

Essentially the closed cell foam (ccf) decouples the sound barrier from the sound source (ie the floor pan) and the open cell foam absorbs any airborne noise. So the ccf can be thin (eg 3-4mm) whereas the open cell can be thicker. I've also used 6mm ccf, maybe should have used 3mm instead but its quite compressible. I'll get some of the 10mm and 6mm open cell and see if it fits under the carpet and in the door cards. If not it will all go in the boot and under the rear seats!

If the car is totally sealed so there are no leaks (!) then you could potentially just used a thick layer of open cell foam and a mass barrier.

Martin - if you're able to locate the insulation some measurements would be great!