Ray1965

Front wheel Bearing for VR6

(sorry for hijack)

Out of interest, what grease do people use for wheel bearings (mainly rear)?

I've bought some 3-in-1 white lithium grease, will that be good enough, it doesn't seem gloopy enough

(sorry for hijack)

Out of interest, what grease do people use for wheel bearings (mainly rear)?

I've bought some 3-in-1 white lithium grease, will that be good enough, it doesn't seem gloopy enough

There is a special grease called wheel bearing grease, usually available at most auto repair stores.

It doesn't have to be specific wheel bearing grease. Most CV or high temp greases can be used. You usually get a little sachet of it in with new bearings, though I prefer to use a bit more tbh.

It doesn't have to be specific wheel bearing grease. Most CV or high temp greases can be used. You usually get a little sachet of it in with new bearings, though I prefer to use a bit more tbh.

I've got this one which looks the ticket, but it's really thin https://3-in-one.co.uk/products/white-lithium-grease/

but I've just bought this, hopefully it has a bit more gloop to it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-BG2500G-Performance-Bearing-Grease/dp/B007WR38TY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1545307472&sr=1-1&keywords=wheel+bearing+grease

Its important to install them correctly, once refitted hold the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and rock it side to side, if there's no play its too tight and any grease will be squeegeed away and the bearings will score the races leading to premature failure.

Yeah the comma stuff will do perfectly. As mentioned by by Dox, don't overtighten (especially the tapered rear ones) as it'll score the races/stub axle. I know from experience! lol.

I wouldn't use moly grease in a wheel bearing subject to high speeds.

"Greases containing moly are recommended for roller bearings subjected to very heavy loads and shock loading, especially in slow or oscillating motion such as found in universal joints and CV joints. If such greases are used in high-speed bearings, problems can be experienced with roller “skidding” where the bearing roller fails to rotate through the full 360 degrees due to reduced friction. As a result, the roller develops flat spots, and its service life is reduced."