Keyo

Light switch functioning correctly ?

Hi,

Hope all is well everyone!

In regards to a VR6 96 N reg model, there are two settings on the light switch 1) first press illuminates circle on switch for low beam, then second press to turn main beam on but the circle light turns off and there is no illumination on switch. Is this correct.

Additionaly the centre console heating and fan switches/dials. is mine working as it should with just the middle dial slighly illuminated in green.

Cheers,

Edited by Keyo

First click on the switch is sidelights, not low beam. Second click is headlights with main beam on the stem. Strangely however, the circle does only light on the first click, never understood that myself either!

You could have some bulbs out on the heater dials, I deleted mine for climate control many years ago so don’t remember exactly what’s in there.

Thanks Tonedef looks like my light switch is operating as it should :thumbleft:.

Can any one else comment on the illuminated heater fan controls, is it just the centre dial that illuminates a fate green.

Ps anyone got a black leather hanbrake grip in mint condition mine is torn on the top end.

Cheers.

On position 2 the green circle goes out, but the headlight symbol in the middle should still light up. If the switch has never been replaced, I'd advise a new one (VW Classic) or one of the Chinese import ones with LEDs instead of bulbs that are available on here.

There are known problems with tracks and internals of these switches and it is not worth the risk of a fire - also run a relayed uprated loom and put an in-line fuse on the switch earth. All info available on here with a search.

The heater dials are a single bulb that transmits light via a complicated and not very effective clear plastic light tunnel part - a common upgrade is to go for LED or light strip - once again information is on the forum.

Thanks fendervg looks like Ive opened a can of worms ha. I know when I purchased the car it has had uprated cabling to headlight and a square box near the battery which I imagine is a relay , would this be what you are mentioning. I have had the cabling put under the headlight trim now as it looked scruffy hanging off the battery and used some oem black cable cover, looks a lot more tidy now.

On my light switch it iluminates orange not green and the centre does not iluminate at all this is the same on all my buttons but some have different colour circles, is yours an older switch as mine is a late model.

Cheers.

Edited by Keyo

Sounds like you have an uprated loom already then - yeah, I've seen orange as well as green circles, or yu might even have one of the replacement LED switches already - but the centre bulb should light up.

Mu car ia a 93, and the switch I have in it currently is a replacement OEM item from VW Classic Parts.

I hope so it was described on the car details as uprated headlight loom with x relief relay and power, not sure this is just for extra power to the headlight or as you mentioned to make the light switch safe.

Is it just the headlight switch that the centre lights up , because on all my switches its just the circle.

Thanks.

I looked at my switches earlier and all the switches have differnet colour circles when illuminated anyone else got this , I dont mind because its easy to tell what the switch is then. Abliet none of them illuminate in the centre it just the circle.

If you gently prise the top off, you'll see that there are two bulbs in there - one for the ring and one for the centre. My guess is that the centre bulb dies first because it's on pretty much all the time with ignition on as it's supposed to help you find the switch in the dark. The ring for the sidelights would hardly ever be on.

It sounds like you have an uprated loom already - basically it takes current from the battery direct to the headlamp via some in-line fuses and relays - this takes the load off the OEM switch and loom, which carried the full current to the lights, and the switch and stalks just operate the relay. It also makes the lights brighter as it results in more voltage at the bulbs. The relays are probably inside the box. The headlight switch earth issue is a different fix - if you search the subforums here I think it's in the interior/electrical one and set as sticky.

Thanks mate at leat the one job is done, not sure wether to change the other bulbs might end up braking something knowing me , I wonder if the bulbs pop out easy.

Ok I have the top off a spare demister switch to experiment , there is a small green thing in the middle (bulb ?) and one bulb to the left

Any idea of bulb type and how the earth do you get them out ha !

Cheers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95641[/ATTACH]

Edited by Keyo