maff

205 vs 195

Need to order four new tyres for the vr6, found some toyo proxes t1r for under £200 for all four in 205 50 15 size, then saw the 195 50 15 for £130!

I suppose id be asking for increased understeer with the thinner 195's over the 205's, does anybody run 195's?

cheers

I have 195 Michelin Pilots on standard wheels at the moment because that was the best I could get at the time - but would prefer the 205s realy, you can feel a difference in handling. The 205s are always going to come out more expensive and are getting harder to find at the right quality level as there is not a great demand for them - what you have there is a good price for a set, so I'd just pay the extra for the additional peace of mind. That being said, all other models of Corrado had 195s as standard, but not the wide-track VR6.

The VR6 and other wide-track cars had slightly wider tyres to support the (small amount of) extra weight. You made the right choice.

It does make life slightly difficult because it's now becoming quite a rare tyre. I would also say that I didn't like the Toyo Proxes T1-R, found them good in the dry with very stiff sidewall, but pretty poor in the wet. I'll pretty much only buy Uniroyal Rainsport asymmetrics now, much better all rounders.

Yeah, I'll be going back to 205s when I get my Speedlines refurbed and the Uniroyal Rainsport are top of the list.

I'm pretty sure I paid about £70 a corner for them last time I got some, but I'd admit that was a little while ago ..

The VR6 and other wide-track cars had slightly wider tyres to support the (small amount of) extra weight. You made the right choice.

It does make life slightly difficult because it's now becoming quite a rare tyre. I would also say that I didn't like the Toyo Proxes T1-R, found them good in the dry with very stiff sidewall, but pretty poor in the wet. I'll pretty much only buy Uniroyal Rainsport asymmetrics now, much better all rounders.

I didn't like them either for the same reason. Just ok in the dry, poor in the wet and quite noisy as well. I think it's the compound more than the tread, but overhyped and overpriced imho. I'll have to look into the Uniroyal Rainsports, thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't like them either for the same reason. Just ok in the dry, poor in the wet and quite noisy as well. I think it's the compound more than the tread, but overhyped and overpriced imho. I'll have to look into the Uniroyal Rainsports, thanks for the suggestion.

Completely agree. Yes, I'm sure it's the compound coupled with the stiff sidewall construction.

Strongly recommend the Uniroyal, very much an improvement. Not quite up to the standards of the Eagle F1s I used to have but they got canned in 15" sizes years ago.

Another vote for Uniroyal Rainsport 3 205/50 15V. They are excellent in the , err, rain and are reasonably hardwearing. Tend to be a bit noisy but not outrageously. Generally a good price from mytyres.

best wishes

RB

I agree they are not the best, ive just put front tyres on the wife’s car 18” and 225 wide, looked at the toyos and didn’t go with them.

But for the corrado that only gets driven in the dry as a midrange tyre they are not bad value at four for £195? dont like the idea of paying silly money for a 15” tyre

I’ve also recently put eagle f1s on the m3 which are a great tyre and also a lot cheaper than the michelin pilot range

Ill have a look at the uniroyals, also liked the kuhmo ku39 except they don’t have a great rim protection

Edited by maff

Yeah it's a trade off. Personally found it worth the extra for the quieter ride and more predictable handling. The size of the rim doesn't really alter the cost, it's the quality of the tyre you're paying for.

That's remarkably cheap!

I know. I don't even need them yet. My Corrado is in a 100 bits lol.

Worth checking them out now and then for deal. They had another 4 for 3 offer on that expired only last month.

Edited by Gti_Jamo

I got 4 toyo tr1's from demon tweeks not so long ago for £90. Buy 3 get the 4th free.

Good price, are they 205 or 195’s?

The 195s are common with all the Golf 2 GTis and a load of other cars, there's LOADS of those about so that size is always going to be cheaper.