Keyo

Eibach and Bilstein B4 shocks

Hi all,

Anyone running Eibach 25mm/30mm lowering springs with bilstein b4 shocks?

I have these on order but after reading on here some posts saying B4 riding rough with lowering springs on VR6. Anyone have this combo at the moment and can comment on ride.

Have this same combo on a R129 SL500 and the comfort and stance is excellent hopr the Rado has the same outcome.

Cheers.

Hadnt really seen that kit to be honest looks good but maybe a bit harder drive then I would wish for been the sports version. I'm not sure if I need to change the spring plates as have a late version however it says you need to on the B12 kit not sure about the springs I have ordered E8513-140 . .

Mind you I think the spring plates will be ok because the car has Koni and H and r springs fitted at the moment, but were installed in 2003 so now past there shelf life or Im getting old and cant deal with the harsh drive..

I have the B12 kit and I'd say the springs will probably be just as harsh as the H&R's I'm afraid. You could try renewing the bushings with OEM replacements - the rear beam will likely be long past it's best. That's my plan next!

I also have the B12 kit, though I've not yet driven it with the correct rear springs (different story/thread), even so, it was night and day better than the Weitec Coilovers that were on there before.

My cars going in for a major over haul soon pretty much got the parts together , Eibaxh springs plus bilstein b4 on all corners , all top mounts and bushes , drop links , also got a front suspension refresh kit which includes mounts wishbones and ball joints . Also got a new Milltek exhaust and cat , mass and o2 sensor and more that I’m not going to bore you with , can’t wait to see the difference , the ride at the moment with koni and h a r is dog rough they must be shot .

I also have the B12 kit, though I've not yet driven it with the correct rear springs (different story/thread), even so, it was night and day better than the Weitec Coilovers that were on there before.

I've got the correct rear springs on mine. I'm comparing to stock suspension, the body control and damping is great but I feel ruts and harsh roads etc. much more through the cabin. I think new rear beam bushes will offer so more "refinement" as that's where I feel and sense the harshness.

I can't comment from a stock suspension perspective as I've only ever driven a Corrado with modified suspension, but the Bilsteins are the best by far that I've been in. That's what made me choose them. I think the stock height looks wrong personally, especially the late VR6 plus suspension. A subtle drop of 25mm bringing it in line with modern heights is best, though as you've said does offer a firm ride compared to standard. It's a bit of a trade off, and one which I'd have to think long and hard about if I had stock on previously.

Yes that was my dilemma too - stock is far too high. The B12 has got it sitting perfectly. It looks stock in the modern world when compared to cars with sports suspension from the manufacturer.

Im going to work around the bushes overtime. I can’t fault the damping characteristics and wheel control.

Kayo and others - with regard to the rear springs out of the box - some kits come with rear spring that lower the car too much. These are part number: EW8513002HA

The replacement springs (which eibach will send for free) are 8502002HA.

I did fit both to mine. The originals had it almost on the bump stops but the replacements have more travel room and don’t require them being cut down.

Thanks.

Mine are E8513-140 and only lower 25 mm to 30 mm they are knows are as the pro kit , Im putting them on B4 shocks which are 10 % stiffer then oem so hopefully going to hit the middle ground with this set up.

Yes that was my dilemma too - stock is far too high. The B12 has got it sitting perfectly. It looks stock in the modern world when compared to cars with sports suspension from the manufacturer.

Im going to work around the bushes overtime. I can’t fault the damping characteristics and wheel control.

Kayo and others - with regard to the rear springs out of the box - some kits come with rear spring that lower the car too much. These are part number: EW8513002HA

The replacement springs (which eibach will send for free) are 8502002HA.

I did fit both to mine. The originals had it almost on the bump stops but the replacements have more travel room and don’t require them being cut down.

I do have rear springd coded EW8513002HA , when you say lower too much is that on the B12 set up they might be fine with the B4 ??? Thanks

I’m not 100% what went wrong with eibach, corrados had different suspension up front as they changed from 4 to 5 stud plus axles. Whether the rear spring included in the kit worked well with the older set up I’m not sure.

My car has a circa two finger gap between tyre and arch all the way around, whereas with the original rears I had no gap at all at the back but just over 2 fingers up front!

To add more confusion to the mix earlier VR6 seemed to have lower suspension from the factory so the eibach rears may work fine in that application. My car is a 1995 and had very high suspension all round originally!

Mine is a 95 aswell, b12 are the sports shocks so might be different legnth then B4 adding to the problem not sure , looks like they have had plenty of time to clear things up on product description, going to be pretty cheesed off if the rear springs are to low . Yep you should be able to get two fingers on a 25mm drop they bulled up for sure.

Good luck and hope it works out fine! Some people haven’t had the problems and you could be right about the shocks - the springs were always available as a standalone product. If you google for images for corrado’s on eibach springs there’s a silver one and it looks fine (and is on standard shocks).

If you find seanjaymos old build thread, skip to the last few pages and it shows them side by side. I'd link it but I'm on my phone and it's a pita. I'd say to get them changed if you can though

Tried searching and could'nt find anything, I will be calling Eibach tomorrow, I dont want to be paying the mechnic twice and aslo if the shocks are far to low they could damage the new absorbers.

Thanks PFNSHT,

I have just come off the the phone to Larkspeed and he was familar with the issue.

He told me that its a problem that has been going on for years and that its not age (year of manufacture related) , its just they fit some perfectly and on other Rados are to short. He said Eibach have researched it exstensivley and have still not got to the bottom of it. Sounds to me like a batch of rear springs has gone out that was manufactured to short or VW had randomly different height supensions which is what Larkspeed are suggesting.

So been advised to get my mechanic to fit the ones I have now and if they dont fit to call them back , but that means my car could be off the road a while a x2 cost for mechanic bit of a bummer. I told him mine was a late model.

Edited by Keyo

Tempted to ask for a refund any other recommendations for springs ? 1995 rado vr6

It actually has H Ans R springs at the moment and sits two fingers above the tire so correct height for 25 mm , it drives awful though with the Koni shocks as i think they are shot or just to damn stiff.

What are the shelf life of springs , these H and r were fitted in 2003 any good still you reckon lads ?

Really tempted to go for the B3 Bilstein springs with my new b4 shocks which are basically stock, looks crap with the ride height and everything but you know these cars are getting older and originality is the the thing, also i bet the drive is actually realy good and comfortable.

What are your thought rado members ?Cheers.

Edited by Keyo

I bought my kit from Larkspeed too, they were very good at swapping over even though I bought the kit 6 months before fitting.

Re: the ride though - I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference between H&R and Eibach springs. Have you got adjustable Koni's? Maybe they've been wound up to their hardest setting. Else Billy B4s should make the ride softer, being a softer shock. One point to note is that B4s aren't designed for shorter springs, that said there is probably enough tolerance in it to cater for mild lowering springs and depending where you read it's often said 20/25mm spring kits were designed to for stock shocks.

Right just come off the phone from larkspeed and mentioned returning and about the B3 shocks.

He said 98% of the eibach lowering springs do fit correct height and will be so much better the Bilstein B3 springs. So Im going to chance it.

As regards in using a B4 shock with a eibach lowering spring he said they are actually designed be used with oem shocks in mind , so Im happy about that as always hereing you need the B8 or B6 , I have B4 and Eibachs on a R129 which drives and sits amazing no bumps and really comfortable. Always disagreed with you need the stiffer shocks (with eibach springs) as retailers always push you to go for the more exspensive stiffer shocks. I base this on going no lower then 30mm. He did say H and R springs are much stiffer then eibach so a stiffer absorber would be required in this instance.

Edited by Keyo

Your probably right the Koni I bet are on the stiff setting because the car basically bounces over rough roads ha , I reckon if fitted in 2003 and 90 k miles since surely must be past it sell by date.