_Matt_

Steering - not that light

Hey all,

I see reviews of the Corrado and see people talking about how light the steering is. Mine isn't light at all, it's definitely assisted somewhat and I car hear the pump on full lock but requires effort to turn compared to modern cars - mostly noticed when turning into side streets.

I've eyeballed the fluid, looks clean and doesn't smell burnt or anything.

Just wondering what's normal. Car has had an alignment but I feel it needs a general bushing replacement and have noticed one of my drop links is split. Just mentioning as don't know if tired bushes would cause stiffer steering.

Cheers,

Matt

I have changed my power steering OE fluid and it didnt really make the steering less easy, getting all the supension done in a coule of weeks Ill let you know if it makes a difference. I reckon its just modern cars with electric steering racks just feel a lot lighter. Any ides when the fluid was last changed , it should be green the OE stuff and still available.

Yeah, mine's the same as yours by the sounds of it - it definitely helps, but not light - I think that's why it's called power assisted rather than just power steering, but it makes for a better feel at speed. You know that it does something, because when it stops working you'll barely be able to shift the wheel at low speeds with a VR lump sitting up front! I remember having a MkII with PAS and while it felt a bit lighter because of the smaller engine, it was much the same.

Ahh sounds normal then! I wondered if there was something wrong with the rack but it’s smooth etc.

I’ll probbaly flush the fluid and replace the fluid this year for good measure.

I have no clue where you heard the steering was "light" on a Corrado. On the contrary compared to modern cars it's really heavy. One thing that IS true, however, is that it's wonderfully fluid and "free running" in a way that a modern electrically-assisted rack will never be. The difference is that Corrado allows you to freely apply force to the heavy wheels, but a modern car requires you to apply force against the steering load angle sensors, and IT handles moving the wheels for you. Modern car's wheels just stay put when you let go, boring boring boring.

Agree, I’ve not experienced electric steering yet. My family car is an Exeo (A4 in disguise) with fluid steering. It is lighter than the Corrado though.

I think I saw the reference in a magazine review. Probably cut and pasted from somewhere else! Probably should take it with a pinch of salt; for example I used to own a mk4 golf, standard spec 1.9 tdi, to read the reviews you’d think it was a tank to drive but I found it perfectly fine.

everyone's a wuss these days, 'snowflake' generation that can't cope if their car actually needs some input from the driver :rolleyes:

Corrado has great steering, just make sure all the front bushes are in good order.