foster9099

Fitting Early Dash in Late Car

A couple of weeks ago I bought a black dashboard from an early car, for the price I paid it was worth a shot to see if I could make it work with all the bits from my late dash. I have read that the only difference is the metal frame, the late dash is deeper to accommodate the deeper storage compartment. From doing a bit of reading I have seem people suggesting drilling out the spot welds on that part of the frame but that seemed like too much messing about. After spending some time comparing the 2 dashboards side by side it seemed obvious to me that the metal frame is removable and almost identical between the 2 dashboards apart from the centre section.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96482[/ATTACH]

The frame is attached using some weird 9mm nuts and a few rivets.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96480[/ATTACH]

You can see circled in the above image the difference in the 2 frames. The late dash is the longer one at the top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96478[/ATTACH]

Here is the late metal frame in my early dash, I put some silicone sealant between the frame and the dash to maybe help with rattles and creaks in the future.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96476[/ATTACH]

I used new rivets where the old rivets were, I will paint any that are on show black at a later time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96474[/ATTACH]

I test fitted the dash in the car and it seems to fit perfectly, I just need to paint my demister vents and speaker grills as well as refit all of the HVAC pipes and the dash can be installed for good.

The switches look slightly different early/late but are the same size so will fit I’m sure. Mine is the other way, later dash in a 92 VR6 but everything is the later type including switches and heater controls.

As long as it fits and looks good, only a Corrado anorak would know the difference I guess.

I used to have a 92 valver crossover - had the facelift exterior panels but had the early interior. I swapped my dash and switches, in fact I did the full interior - I didn't have to swap the bracket on the dash for mine to fit. The wiring is interchangable from the fusebox so I just changed out entire loom sections as they have the same sockets at the fusebox side.

I have offered up the centre console plastic from my old dash and it seems to fit ok, and all the buttons in the centre attach to this plastic. I already have the spoiler button in which fits perfectly. The only one I have yet to try is the headlight switch. My car also has early leather seats so I guess mine is turning into a bit of a crossover.