tman2714

Vacuum Hoses

Hi all.

Aiming to get the Corrado back on the road (again).

Failed the MOT on rear discs and emissions.

Discs are easy to sort but emissions are a little more tricky. It's been standing for ages so need to give it a good run.

But I've also noticed the vacuum hoses around the airbox are broken and need replacing which I think effects the emissions?

I've managed to source the connectors and 3.5mm braided hose but struggling to find the other tubing - N0201391.

You can still buy it from the stealers but you've got to buy 5m and it costs £38. I only need about a meter.

I've seen some on ebay but the delivery will take too long. I need it for this weekend.

I've ordered this on Amazon, do you think it would be a suitable replacement? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012T3HAG2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to match the spec of the original 4mm OD 2mm ID

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/vacuum-hose-white-3-feet/n0201391/

I should add that the reason I didn't go for some of the hoses that are made specifically for cars is that they don't seem to match the spec.

From research I think the spec of the hose is 4mm outer diameter, 2mm inner diameter and an outer wall thickness of 1mm. All of the automotive hoses had outer walls thicker than 1mm so I'm not sure if they'd fit together.

EMISSIONS HELP

CO high, co2 low hc high, o2 high - rich mixture with ignition misfire

CO high, co2 low hc high, o2 low -faulty thermostat or coolant sensor

CO low, co2 low hc low, o2 high - exhaust leak after cat

CO low, co2 high, hc low, o2 high - injector misfire, cat ok

CO high, co2 low, hc medium to low, o2 high - rich mixture

CO high, co2 high, hc high, o2 high - injector misfire, cat not working, combination of rich mixture and vacuum leak

CO low, co2 high, hc low, 02 low, good afr and cat operation- system normal .

lambda typical range 0.97 to 1.03 [ ideal lambda 1 ]

The emissions limits to be met are specified for both the fast and normal idle tests. At fast idle, CO must be at or less than 0.2%, HC at or less than 200 parts per million (ppm), and the lambda value(1) must be between 0.97 and 1.03. At normal idle, CO must be at or less than 0.3%

The Carbon canister and its pipes are just for the fuel tank evaporation vapors to be recycled and have no effect on the MOT exhaust emissions test result.

The Carbon canister is by now not working anyway due to its age but whats important unless your keeping it strictly OEM is to make sure the pipes are capped off to avoid air leaks etc and its the leaks that could give you running issues and potential emissions test fail.

You could just cap of the pipes as a quick fix to get you through the MOT if your pipes dont arrive.

Thanks for the advice all. The amazon tube arrived and it’s bit flimsy so going to get this as well.

Autobahn88 High Performance Silicone Vacuum Hose, ID 0.08" (2mm), OD 0.24" (6mm), 15 Feet per reel (4.5 Meter), Blue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CTXVJCI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MXe8Cb7DPJFFA

Can’t remember what the exact emissions fail was but will check.

Thanks.

I don't think there is any reason why it has to be the clear plastic hose - I remember just using the normal braided vacuum hose you can get in any motor factors on my MkII GTI with the PB engine, which is similar enough to the G60 lump. It just needs to fit and be routed carefully away from any hot or sharp surfaces.

The blue temp sender can fail when it gets a few years old sending the emissions high with overfuelling a hot engine. Worth a check if you havent already.

Not sure which the blue temp sensor is?

I'm actually looking for this temp sender: 191919521D. I have the wire but can't see where to connect it.

Got all the vacuum hoses sorted. Turns out I didn't actually need the clear hose, it was only the black 3.5mm that was knackered.