ger040

insurance companies turning into con artists

i recently reinsured my corrado after disposing of my golf 1.8t anniversary (needed to much work for its next mot)

my existing insurance would not insure the corrado - dont know why the telephone operator could no give me an answer

anyway cancelled the policy and asked if they could forward me confirmation of my NCD which they duly did (always like to

have written confirmation)

went to a comparison web site and insured the corrado and all seemed to be fine deposit paid etc

Around 10 days later i got an email requesting a copy of my log book (never had that before) and proof of NCD

i forwarded this all be email

several days later i got a reply informing me that they had increased my premium by 70% (estimated) because the log book

indicated the i had purchased the car only last year - i have owned and registered this car for over 10 years. last year

i put the corrado back on the road after several years and after getting it motd i tried to tax it only to be told the log

book was out of date and i has to apply for a new one which i did.

i believe this was due to the DVLA moving from N Ireland to wales and new log books had to be issued.

i still have my original log book

They also refused to accept my proof of NCD because i cancelled the previous policy (IT STATES I HAVE 14 YEARS NCD)with no claims

outstanding.

i contacted by telephone and the operator was not interested

so i cancelled the policy with a cancellation fee of course!!

so in total the insurance company got almost £100 for roughly 14 days cover

For the last couple of years i have never been asked to produce proof of my NCD - i assume all my details are held within an

insurance data base

i am of an age now where insurance premiums are not that bad anymore

i have taken out insurance with another company and it will be interesting to see if they request the same information?

You can get some good deals on a classic insurance without the crap involved with these mainstream companies.

I did mine at Lancaster for £180 with 5000 miles, fully comp, windscreen cover, drivers legal protection and guaranteed buy back should it get bent. You can add miles if you go over the limit. It would have been £40 cheaper if it was garaged at night. Only thing I had to supply was a membership number for a recognised car club.

You are correct about these mainstream companies, they are running amok it seems. I joined Centurion sometime ago and after about 3 months I had to change over to another car. I was pleasantly surprised with their charges for swapping over and for once in life it didn't feel like I'd been ripped off.

Some months later about 9 days before my policy ran out I noticed a few hundred pounds missing from of my bank. On investigation I found an email thanking me for payment for renewing my insurance with them. There was no prior emails or contact between us, they just took the money and that was it. They didn't even show in the email the cost or details of the new policy. I phoned to ask the legitimacy of their actions and the operative acted totally blasé, offered no reasonable explanation and just couldn't wait to get me off the phone. He knew what a blatant **** take it was.

Letters of complaint to the relative governing body are the only way to stop them, But I doubt there is even one out there that gives a crap in this world of crony capitalism!