Sign in to follow this  
tinsman

paint question

on the back of the C in this picture where the liscence plate is, it is red where mine is black. his matches the rest of his car. it looks really cool with the tail lights red and that back part being red. i want to do that to mine. would that be cheap to get that liscence plate part to be red and also is it easily done. thanks -tjlink here

Take number plate holder off, give it a bloody good clean (even sand out any imperfections).

Lots of primer, rub down, more primer (repeat as you feel necessary) and apply your top coat (or two or three) and then finish off with some lacquer (does lacquer have a 'c' in it?).

Or alternatively, take it to a body shop!

Make sure you use plasterciser in the paint when you paint it. Like when you paint a body kit or your bumpers or it will eventually crack the paint. I have done mine it looks great. You will probably have to go to a body shop.

My brother inlaw has a body shop and when we were painting mine he added a plasterciser to the paint. I believe you can only do this at a body shop as it is mixed with the paint, straight into the paint gun. As VR6 said you could rub it all down paint it as described. But if it all flakes off, OUCH! Why not prep it all then give it to a bodyshop to paint, take them 5 mins and should not cost much.

Why bother when can get a special plate that fixes over the original panel that can be colour coded.... was mentioned on here couple days a go ? - blanking plate?

what ever you decide to do, mine is being done today by the body shop but I'm having the whole car done at the same point....

When you take the number plate off its not a matter of ripping the backing plate off. Just take care, you dont want to snap the plastic lugs underneed the boot lip like I did. The bottom part of the plate is stuck on with tape so whilst your pulling down on the plate keep cutting the tape off as there is loads of dirt and dust thats trapped in there which makes the glue seem that bit sticker! Give it a good clean before you re- fit!

You can buy an undercoat from Halfords or most good car accessory shops that has a plasterciser in it. As I used it when I did the eyebrow of my old golf.

Just as long as you sand it down after every coat and then apply some lacquer at the end I cannot see you having much of a problem, just take your time.