Keyo

ABS scan codes 00287 + 00290 advice

Hi Folks.

I was scanning my car for faults earlier with a V Gate scanner , just a cheapo scanner .

Whilst scanning the ABS it came up with faults codes below, rear left and right abs speed sensors. The ABS light comes on start up and turns off as it should and never lights up whilst driving.

Its says static mechanical. Does this mean that they are not actually faults and the car wheels are just static.

Any advice would be appreciated , I don't think the sensors are not working as a bit of a coincidence its both rear sides and abs light does not come on whilst driving. Also brakes seem to be working as they should.

If anyone has a V Gate scanner could they see if these codes come up whilst scanning their car , I scanned the car with the engine running but stationary. Also it would not let me erase the codes for some reason.

Thank You

Pictures of fault codes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97305[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97306[/ATTACH]

Edited by Keyo

If you’re ever around Cheshire I’ll scan it with VCDS for you

If the light stays off when driving the system is all good

If you’re ever around Cheshire I’ll scan it with VCDS for you

If the light stays off when driving the system is all good

Thanks Dox VCDS is obviously the best tool for the job, I've got a feeling that they are nothing to worry about, think it might be like fault code 00513 engine speed sensor that will come on if the engine is not on but not appear if the engine is running.

The light does stay off.

Thanks The light does stay off.

The time to worry is when it gives you a sun tan...……………...

They'll be wheel sensors (relatively cheap compared to pump and ECU) if they are broken, however if the ABS light stays out whilst driving it's nothing to worry about.

My ABS light used to give me a sun tan for sure! Looking forward to not seeing it when I get the car back.... if I see it again shortly I'll be peeved (I've had a replacement pump, new lines and flexi's, brakes, ABS rotar rings and sensors... there are still more parts to go wrong though!)

Wow that sounds like a big job !

I had new lines put in as well to the rear wheels maybe it’s something to do with that . I take it there is just one light on the abs switch in the middle strip that illuminates just in case I have some bulbs out . My light comes on start up but always turns off whilst driving .

Yeah that is all there is. Does sound like your system is working well... but there is always something to keep us on our toes.

Yeah that is all there is. Does sound like your system is working well... but there is always something to keep us on our toes.

Yes you do not own a Rado for economical reasons that for sure ha ! But the time and money you have spent on your ABS system is a perfect example of why you wouldn't let your car sell for cheap.

I suppose they could be historic codes from a previous time?

Clear them and see if they return?

I suppose they could be historic codes from a previous time?

Clear them and see if they return?

Thanks Dox.

They certainly could be historic .

Tried clearing them and it said failed to clear , never had any other issues deleting other codes, Im wondering if it is a live feed data , because I think on VCDS if you spin the wheels it will give you a read out .

If you read the description below off ross Tek mine says mechanical static so not listed as a fault.

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44): Signal Outside Specifications

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44): Electrical Fault in Circuit

Possible Causes

Open Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)

ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)

Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44): Mechanical Malfunction

Possible Causes

Excessive Air Gap between ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44) and Rotor

Short Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)

ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44) Installation

Check Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)

Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)

I wouldn't trust a generic code reader on these cars for non engine stuff. Presuming the ABS light hasn't been doctored with some sort of timer chip, the light is working correctly, the system has no faults?

Does the ABS actually work? Does the pedal pulse evenly 3-4 times on start up as the car self tests?

If you suspect the light has been frigged unplug one of the sensors and see if the light still goes out.

If the system up is working the more you fiddle the more likely you are to break this delicate set up...……...

Yes the Abs light comes on start up and then goes off.

Ill try the pulse test now on the pedal, never even knew it did that to be honest.

Cant feel the pedal pulsing, It take you mean that you can feel the pedal depress a few times on start up , put my hand on the brake pedal and could not feel anything.

Cant feel the pedal pulsing, It take you mean that you can feel the pedal depress a few times on start up , put my hand on the brake pedal and could not feel anything.

Find a quiet road and stand on the brake pedal to see if you can lock the brakes. If they lock, unplug one of the front sensors clipped to the underbonnet strut tops and see if the system goes into fault - dash light on.

Find a quiet road and stand on the brake pedal to see if you can lock the brakes. If they lock, unplug one of the front sensors clipped to the underbonnet strut tops and see if the system goes into fault - dash light on.

Thanks Im going to pop down Stealth on a Saturday morning at some point, he emailed tonight saying if the light does not show it's ugly head after start up then there is nothing to worry about amd as you mentioned they are probably historic and the V gate is unable to delete them.

Save your time, ignore it and get an OBDeleven.

If the ABS light comes on during startup, but then goes out and stays out for the duration, you do not have a problem.

I'd recommend the OBDelevan too. Great for modifying the coding on your golf GTI as well :-)

Thanks mate have you a link for one. Definitely works on OBD1 technology?

Cheers.

Save your time, ignore it and get an OBDeleven.

If the ABS light comes on during startup, but then goes out and stays out for the duration, you do not have a problem.

This is the case so Ive put it to rest, however I did notice a missing rear ABS cable holder, thankfully got a couple spare.

The obdelevan is really for post 1996 OBD2 vag cars. Later ones are more supported for coding mods. I use it on other cars in the family. For the VR6 it works because there is an obd2 style port but we only get basic scanning and live read out functionality.