Sign in to follow this  
kvwloon

What's the biggest bunch of crap stealer has ever told you?

£260 plus VAT for a BBS wheel? Thats a bargain!

I've just had one of mine replaced on insurance after someone drove into me and the wheel was £370 plus VAT!

Seriously though, for a genuine wheel that is quite cheap! You've gotta think of it in terms of demand, cost to make a batch due to popularity and storage etc etc.

yeah i suppose it is "cheap" for a genuine BBS wheel......but i would imagine that VW Parts HQ (in der fatherland)will have a decent stock of these...........thankfully its easy enough to pick them up cheap-ish 2nd-hand......in fact i paid £10 for a round and true...but in need of refurb solitude at Inters last year.........

Cheap for a genuine BBS wheel? Well not really when you consider a 17" BBS RC is about £200. Even the awesome LM is only £100 more than a solitude from VW.

The net worth of a Solitude is £100 tops. The dealers throw the rest on because they're greedy A holes.

The net worth of a Solitude is £100 tops. The dealers throw the rest on because they're greedy A holes.

Thats a bit unfair, its VW who are the greedy arseholes :) The prices dealers quote are VW RRP, but they'd probably only get 12.5% profit in a wheel of that age.

Problem is (not sure if I speaking for Solitudes as well?) most VW BBS wheels are made especially for VW, so BBS refuse to sell them to anyone else but VW Germany! :mad: I remember Polo GTi owners hit a brick wall when trying to source wheels direct, they just refuse to speak to you! :evil:

So basically,

Price to VW Germany: £75

Price to VW UK: £90

Price to dealers: £250

RRP: £270

It's very common - you charge for the fact that you had to store the thing for 10 years in a warehouse on top of the actual value of the item..

At a certain computer company I know -

SCSI DVD-ROM drive with plastic fascia to match system's finish:

Price of item from manufacturer: £25

Price of item to the public in UK: £40

Price of item as an option when sold with the computer: £200

RRP when purchased from spares: £800

And then there's the £80 network card they charge £1200 for.. it goes on...!

(Tho at least in the latter case there was engineering effort required to write drivers for the card!!)

Thats a bit unfair, its VW who are the greedy arseholes :) The prices dealers quote are VW RRP, but they'd probably only get 12.5% profit in a wheel of that age.

Sorry, read dealers as VW!

BBS RAs/Solitudes etc and Speedlines weren't made specifically for VW. The Sebrings on the 16V were though, as were the Estorils.

I can recommend the VAG stealer in Camberly.

Why... Cos one of the technicians there does actually own a modded black Corrado G60 and seriously knows his rado's. I met him the other night, sound lad!

I love going to my local VAG stealer in Derby and getting prices for engine parts on polo's etc out of interest. The G40 throttle body costs £1,100!!!!! The boost return hose cost £110!!! The charger exhaust dome to intercooler shot pipe cost £90! I give up when I ask for Corrado stuff out of interest for my G60 besides being told that I should only be getting my charger serviced by them cos then ive still got warrenty, and it'd cost me about £550 just for the service as its got to be sent away too. They are a joke.

I'm a technician at a main dealer ( not saying which one :oops: ) but i have to say that most people that work in our dealer don't have alot of product knowledge. The only thing that dealers are intrested in is money ! I priced up an exhaust the other day for a 95 mk3 16v, the customer was quoted £481 all inclusive. :shock: He was an old man and agreed to this price. This was only cat back ! I had a power flow exhaust fitted to my corrado ( down pipe back ) and this only cost £300, and has lifetime warranty. The service manager didn't even batter an eyelid when taking the old mans money.

Mr Werthers, Yep, think you're right, the shiny suit brigade at the dealers seem to just see walking pound notes when Joe Public (old ladies seem favourite prey!) walks in for a service. Yet again today, picking up parts from the decent parts guy, next to the Service Dept heard usual poor service. Smug Service staff calmly telling customer 'don't worry sir, although it won't be ready today, I've taken a worst case view on the car and it's booked in til mid-Staurday. Less than grateful customer 'well that's marvelous, because I'm not local this weekend, so won't get my car back 'til Monday, thanks! :roll:' Personally though I think the product knowledge, especially for cars no longer in production, is very hit and miss depending on which dealer you go to..

P.S I always get the impression that if I was stupid enough to ask for a Service price, I would probably get some sniffy young thing that was barely born when the car was made give me an outrageous price, thinking 'those cars aren't even made anymore, we don't want people who don't buy newer cars in here dirtying our workshop!'! :)