C-UNIT

16v 1990 fuel tank help! pls

Hi, its been some time since i have done any upgrades but now my 16v h plate corrado fuel pump is old i need to upgrade.

My question if any one can help me, can i upgrade fuel tank from current 16v 1990 to corrado vr6 tank or is my only option mk3 golf vr6 tank where i know the walbro fuel pump intank fits. i have been told vr6 corrado fuel tanks will fit and same as mk3 dimensions ? my current tank 16v has lift pump intank and under car kr kjet pump in swirl pot and fuel filter.

Hello there,

yes you can fit Corrado VR6 70ltr fuel tank into Corrado's with 4 cyl engine's and vice versa, the early Corrado's had the 55ltr fuel tank, then in 1992 the tank volume was increased to 70ltr.

The problem you're going to have is the fuel pressure, as the 16v as you already know has two fuel pumps, low pressure lift pump in tank roughly 3 bar of pressure, then high pressure fuel pump under car in swirl pot, which pumps at 5.2 to 5.6bar for KR 16v  or  6.1 to 6.6 bar for 9A 16v, the 16v injection system is multipoint but is mechanical injection, final fuel delivery is via fuel distributor, which is controlled by fuel differential pressure governor/regulator, if the high pressure fuel pump doesn't deliver pressure as stated above, then the fuel injectors won't open as they need the correct specified pressure range.

The VR6 injection system including the 2.0 16v ABF only have the one fuel pump in fuel tank, pump pressure is roughly between 3 and 4 bar, this system again is multipoint injection but has electrically operated injectors, that receive signals via ECU.

I think you can possibly fit a MK3 Golf fuel tank into a MK2 Golf, but I've read on other forums the filler neck doesn't quite line up fully with fuel flap opening, but then others have said they fit fine, so regarding MK3 Golf tank into Corrado yes it may well be possible but how well it'll fit I'm not sure. But like I say you'll still need the high pressure fuel pump under car for your K-jet 16v injectors, unless you're able to fit high pressure pump in tank. MK3 Golf with VR6 (AAA) and 2.0 16v (ABF) I think use same fuel tank as the ABF fuel pump is very similar to VR6.

Corrado fuel tank
Part number 535 201 075H
Length 910mm
Width 630mm
Height 620mm
55 litre tank with narrow fuel neck 22mm for unleaded petrol
From 1988/89 to 1992 (weight 6 kg)

Corrado fuel tank
Part number 535 201 075AB  / 535 201 075AE
Length 950mm
Width 630mm
Height 615mm
70 litre tank with narrow fuel neck 22mm for unleaded petrol.
From 1992/93 to 1995/96 (weight 9.5 kg)

Hope this helps

Si

• Like 1

Golf MK3 fuel tank
Part number 1H0 201 075AR 
55ltr tank with no restricted fuel neck 26mm
From 1992 to 1997

Golf MK3 fuel tank
1H0 201 075AS 
55ltr tank with narrow fuel neck 22mm for unleaded petrol
From 1992 to 1997

I think the Golf MK3 fuel tank/s are 55ltr only and can come with two different sized fuel neck diameters of 26mm and 22mm. Whereas the Corrado is available in 55ltr and 70ltr tanks and I think only has fuel neck diameter of 22mm.

Hope this helps

Si

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vw rule said:

Golf MK3 fuel tank
Part number 1H0 201 075AR 
55ltr tank with no restricted fuel neck 26mm
From 1992 to 1997

Golf MK3 fuel tank
1H0 201 075AS 
55ltr tank with narrow fuel neck 22mm for unleaded petrol
From 1992 to 1997

I think the Golf MK3 fuel tank/s are 55ltr only and can come with two different sized fuel neck diameters of 26mm and 22mm. Whereas the Corrado is available in 55ltr and 70ltr tanks and I think only has fuel neck diameter of 22mm.

Hope this helps

Si

Hi Si, 

Firstly thank you for your detailed reply just the info i needed your a star!

Sorry i should have said my corrado has 20vt in bay so due to my current fuel pump kr under car with filter is soo old the screws on the pump have almost perished and matter of time before major leak. the brack which holds it all as we know rusts so much its not in good state this is why i am planning vr6 corrado tank into mine may be walbro intank pump to replace original fuel pump thats in the vr6 swirl pot and remove undercar set up with just fiel filter. i have been told others have done this on corrados or mk2s and walbro being uprated will be sufficient to feed my 4bar fpr on 1.8t. 

if all works i post update either way 

Cheers Si 😀

No worries I thought you had the OEM 16v lump still in yours, I bet the 1.8 20v Turbo goes well then, I've heard/read good things about that conversion.

I've had a quick look online there's definitely an abundance of good choice for the Walbro fuel pump, for in tank and exterior pumps. Their exterior high pressure pumps look very similar to the Bosch 044 pump I've got for my 16v. You should be fine with the Walbro in tank fuel pump looks like you can just purchase the pump, or complete with universal swirl pot cradle, which looks very similar to the VR6 set up, whether it's the same size to fit directly into VR6 tank not sure, but like you say you possibly might be able to keep/use the VR6 swirl pot cradle that sits in tank, and just replace pump with Walbro one ?

VR6 OEM pump is roughly 3 to 4 bar and as you've said the same for the standard Audi 1.8 20v Turbo in yours. 

I can totally understand why you're wanting to do away with the 16v exterior pump swirl pot set up, they are a pain in the butt once it starts leaking, mine was a nightmare trying to remove the 3 retaining screw's, I got mine out by using a special extractor tool, plus like you say the metal cradle support bracket rusts, or the plastic swirl pot split's/crack's.

Yeah definitely post up your progress as it'll help out others who are having a similar dilemma with obsolete parts.

Si 

Hi 

20vt goes well for sure, ill post some pics soon, the walbro will be 6bar+ so should be plenty to feed the fuel. i have 4bar fpr so either way it will be restricted to 4bar i have bosch 550cc injectors and hybrid ko4 with jabbasport manifold hoping once this fueling is sorted and i can get time on rollers i hope to see 320bhp+ not looking to push anymore altho they claim 350hp on hybrid. see what my mapper says. Engines fully rebuilt forged rods etc so should ok.

Thanks for all your help

sanj

Hi,

Now facing a similar issue to the above and looking for some anyone who has used a Walbro in tank pump.

Having transplanted a G60 into what was a 16v i am now at the point of overhauling the fuel delivery side, my 16v had the twin pump setup which is only fit for the bin so am looking to setup as per the single pump arrangement with a Walbro 225 in lieu of the standard in tank.

Has anyone fitted one of these? If so what which Walbro pump or kit did you use? Also is there any benefit in installing a swirl pot after the pump with this setup?

Any help appreciated, read on various forums that it can and has been done.

Thx 

On 8/7/2020 at 9:34 PM, C-UNIT said:

Hi 

20vt goes well for sure, ill post some pics soon, the walbro will be 6bar+ so should be plenty to feed the fuel. i have 4bar fpr so either way it will be restricted to 4bar i have bosch 550cc injectors and hybrid ko4 with jabbasport manifold hoping once this fueling is sorted and i can get time on rollers i hope to see 320bhp+ not looking to push anymore altho they claim 350hp on hybrid. see what my mapper says. Engines fully rebuilt forged rods etc so should ok.

Thanks for all your help

sanj

Yeah definitely that would be a big help if you could please upload some photos of your setup, blimey possiblity of over 300bhp going through your front wheels, sounds like a rocket 🚀 

Si

9 hours ago, Stone0311 said:

Hi,

Now facing a similar issue to the above and looking for some anyone who has used a Walbro in tank pump.

Having transplanted a G60 into what was a 16v i am now at the point of overhauling the fuel delivery side, my 16v had the twin pump setup which is only fit for the bin so am looking to setup as per the single pump arrangement with a Walbro 225 in lieu of the standard in tank.

Has anyone fitted one of these? If so what which Walbro pump or kit did you use? Also is there any benefit in installing a swirl pot after the pump with this setup?

Any help appreciated, read on various forums that it can and has been done.

Thx 

Hello Stone,

yeah I've been reading various different things online about the Walbro pumps and they do have good reviews, also I've read through an old thread off here from about 2006, and they talk about the Walbro pump and Sytec fuel pump.

Link below of the thread I found, you might have already seen it ?

Also watched a video on YouTube of a guy who had fitted a cheap in tank fuel pump, which had failed after only about 1 year, I think his Corrado is a VR6 but does have a Walbro pump fitted under car.

Si 

Hi Si,

Yeah seen the above. 

After much deliberation ive decided to use a high spec replacement for the intank pump (Not Walbro) and going to fit a Bosch 044 inline with a performance filter, sure the Walbro option would work but i dont think its without its issues -  maybe a bit of overkill but given the 044's heritage its a safer option and guarnteed to perform/cope.

I'll stick up a few pics once i get to reassembly 👍

I've seen billet casings for the 044 that hook straight onto the swirl pot mounts in the bottom of the tank, if it's of any use - like anything that is billet they don't seem to be cheap though.

Having taken a couple of in-tank pumps apart, if you can get a pump body that is the same dimensions (could be trial and error) you should be able to fit it into the existing swirl pot assembly, which means you retain the the original fuel sender float assembly.