Sign in to follow this  
Neocorrado

Why is steam coming out of my vents ???

I was driving to work yesterday and i notice steam coming out of my vents i was like :shock: when i got out of work it was dfoing it again and this time my coolant light was on so when i got home i checked on the coolant and it was low so i put some water in it cause its the only thing i had. when i turned the heater on there was so much steam coming out it was like a magic trick, i'm thinking its the heater core that leaking???

am i right or wrong ? what else could it be ? PLEASE HELP ME :cry:

replace it :? never done one on a C before but in my mk2 golf it was infront of the gearstick behind the dash, not the nicest of jobs in the world though if I remember correctly, it looks like a little radiator in the big plastic case, Im sure Henny will be able to tell you the easiest way to get the little b*stard out tho :lol:

heater matrix (uk) = heater core (us)

You take it to VW and tell them that your car vented hot steam into the cabin, which is a major safety issue. VW issued a recall in the US for all early Corrados to fit a safety valve to prevent this happening. Clearly yours never got done, so they should do it now, oh, and they are obliged to replace the core/matrix for free now that it has failed too - VW will reimburse your dealer for this work, it shouldn't cost you a penny.

Unfortunately those of us with later Corrados have to pay for it out our own pockets....

Told you someone would tell you the easiest way to get the little b*stard out, (get the dealers to do it :lol: ), thought Henny would get there first tho......nice one dr mat

You take it to VW and tell them that your car vented hot steam into the cabin, which is a major safety issue. VW issued a recall in the US for all early Corrados to fit a safety valve to prevent this happening. Clearly yours never got done, so they should do it now, oh, and they are obliged to replace the core/matrix for free now that it has failed too - VW will reimburse your dealer for this work, it shouldn't cost you a penny.

Unfortunately those of us with later Corrados have to pay for it out our own pockets....

I believe the saying would be... "You lucky lucky b*stard!" :)

It's a dash out job I'm afraid... :| It can be done with the dash left in place, but you're likely to break something in the process (both on your car and on yourself! :? ) so it's just safer all around to take the dash out...

I've yet to do one of these on a Corrado (touches as much wood as possible) but there's plenty on here who have tackled it who can give some advice... 8)

I've yet to do one of these on a Corrado (touches as much wood as possible) but there's plenty on here who have tackled it who can give some advice... 8)

But why bother when the dealer will do it for free? Gotta ask myself that question! ;)

But why bother when the dealer will do it for free? Gotta ask myself that question! ;)

Depends on whether you trust a dealer to take the dash out and re-fit it without buggering something else up in the process, personally I wouldn't trust them to change the oil. :roll:

David.

'cos that reply wasn't there when I wrote my reply... :p

Depends on whether you trust a dealer to take the dash out and re-fit it without buggering something else up in the process, personally I wouldn't trust them to change the oil. :roll:

I'm with ya there David... I dread to think what a dealer would try to "put right" on my car! :lol: :roll:

Yeah but at least with a dealer anything they break they have to fix... warranted work and all that.

Errrrrrrrrr, youd be mad not to let the dealer do it, all the hassle expense and grief, grief and oh yeah more grief that youd have doing it yourself, give it to them like you say at least theyll have to fix everything they break. :lol:

yeah, if the dealer's gonna do it for free, get them to do it every time.... 8)

Me? I'd do it myself, but only 'cos I know they aren't gonna pay for it and it's about the only bit of the car I've not dismantled anyway yet... :roll: :oops: :lol:

ok guys thanks i'm going to the dealer tomorrow i can't get to them today cause of work but i'm going in there strong minded and i'm not leaving untill i get it dont for free :mrgreen:

They might complain, but there's a definite recall document they should have been issued with, I can't find a reference to it now, but a copy of it is kicking about, maybe on the email group files section....

replaced my heater matrix fortnight ago. If you take your time its not too difficult but be very careful with the dash centre consule. Its very flimsy and breaks easily, ooh and its almost impossible to find replacement ones.

Personally i wouldn't let the dealer do it, most of the "technicians :lol: " won't have seen a corrado. Do it yourselve and myself and others are only and email away if you get stuck.

Interesting. When mine went, steam came pouring in, yet mine's a L-reg '94?

Unfixed at present too....

My garage (not VAG) broke heater matrix pipe when fitting Samco hoses.

They said the pipe was brittle plastic and they were normally used to metal ones.

They replaced the matrix for a new one but charged me cost price for it.

I had instructed them to put the Samco hoses on "really tight" so thought that was fair enough.

Any , y'all remember the matrix pipes may be plastic.

A20 LEE, good looking outi called the dealer and there talking about some BS so i will do it myself, i got the instructions online from CCA ( corrado club america ) they look pretty good and its a step by step guide and they also tell me where all the nuts and bults are and they also said it would take up to eight hours but i'll just start next weekend on friday i should be done by sunday.

Thanks a buch guys i dont know what i would have done without you your help :mrgreen:

By the way while i'm in there is there anything else i should take a look at just in case cause i don't plan on taking the dash out ever again :)

Yeah, make sure you're careful stripping heater box down as the plastic is very brittle. Be extra careful taking the heater control cables off too. One slip of the pliers taking the pressed steel clips off will break the plastic :x

That's pretty much it really, the heater controls are the only weakness, other than the matrix. It's usually the screen vent cable going stiff that causes the most problems, so make sure that one is free moving and not kinked too.

A good oppurtunity to tidy up the wiring and sort any rattles too.

kevhaywire, Thanks i'll take my time. i dont even know if my car raddles or not but i'm sure it does i just never realized it do i just tighten the screws or is there something else ?