Harry-vr6

VR6 ENGINE QUESTIONS

Picked up a golf vr6 recently, planning to do some restoration work and also sort out the engine bay.

I wont go in to the car much as I know its a Rado forum however I need some advice on the engine.

A few things I wanted clarification on, firstly the PCV valve, I deleted this on my rado and stuck a small filter on the end whilst i waited to do the catch can mod. I didn't get round to doing this as I ended up selling it. By deleted the PCV valve would there be any negative issues? I didn't notice any on my rado but it was short term. Also the wire mesh inside looked ok-ish does this have to be there.

Next thing i have a slight drip from the After-Run Coolant Pump now I have seen a few posts on the net about deleting this, is this a good route to go down ? I was looking to replace it however if it's something that can be deleted without any adverse effects to the engine then I will just go ahead. Im aware of the purpose it serves. Anyone have experience with this?

the wire mesh is a flame arrestor i think.  Deleting the PCV will mean you'll need to clean your intake elbow more often!  I'm also planning to do the catch can mod, i wouldn't put an open filter on though as you'll end up with oil dripping onto the ground.

I certainly would NOT entertain deleting the auxilliary water pump. Such a Hot engine needs that circulation  to stop things from warping..

12 hours ago, Harry-vr6 said:

Thanks for your replies. I will keep the Aux water pump and replace with a new unit. Seems simple enough to do. 

It's an easy swap. Is yours still working? (Constant humming sound when ignition on)

Mine was completely broken and if I remember correctly, had blown the fuse which was on the FCM. As said an easy fix and the new pump then worked correctly.  Cheap peace of mind. A Bosch unit off ebay was only around fifty something pounds 

Good luck, even if it is a golf....🙂

Edited by Cressa
Spellcheck🤬

Compare the plugs on the pump you buy are the same fitting.

PCV - venting to atmosphere via a filter means you'll be breathing in the fumes, blocking it off means pressure inside the crankcase will ultimately try and find another route to escape, usually via seals and gaskets, ie oil leaks.

I have not yet tested to see if my current aux pump works, i can see it dripping every few minutes i will test this when i replace the battery. If it is working i will check why it is dripping water, its possible the silicone pipes may not be flush. If it seems dead i will just replace. 

PCV.. when i did the delete on my rado surprisingly there wasn't much of a smell and after driving it daily for a sometime after i did not notice any oil drips below the filter. It was a temp thing however as mentioned i sold it before installing the catch can. 

The throttle body seems a little sticky and the pcv valve was covered in oil. I can of-course give everything a clean and reinstall but i quite fancied a catch can haha. Just wanted to confirm there would be no issues in doing so. 

On 8/14/2020 at 7:48 PM, Harry-vr6 said:

Next thing i have a slight drip from the After-Run Coolant Pump now I have seen a few posts on the net about deleting this, is this a good route to go down ?

I wouldn't.  If you want, hook up VCDS and drive around on a hot day, and watch the temps go up after turning the car off.  It can take quite a bit of time to get temps down after the engine is off, and the combination of the pump and after run fan accomplish this.  

Edited by a_riot

Hi gang sorry to be the party pooper but ideally this thread needs moving to the correct forum section, i.e (general car chat section)

Forum questions and answers is purely regarding the forum only.

Many thanks

Si 👍