_Matt_

Tyre size for 7J 15in alloys

Hi,

I picked up some Borbet C 15in 7J (ET30) alloys off of a mk2 for my 16v Corrado. They have 185 / 55 / 15 tyres which seem fairly comparable to stock VR6 tyres on the comparator site (205 50 15). 

185 seemed a bit thin in my head. Stock 16v tyres were 195 50 15 but I prefer the fatter tyre look of the VR6 (both profile and width)

What size do you think?

Not my car but thanks to whoevers it is as this is what sold me the look - wanted something reasonable to buy and period without centre caps that might go walkies as one of the uses of this car will be to commute by both my wife and I.

Fancy a tyre profile similar to this:

Screenshot-20201220-103706-Facebook.jpg

Great looking cars there guys and the wheels aren't bad either 👍

I found this website with good info regarding some of the original VW wheels.

I think possibly with 16" wheels you'd want 215/45R16 for 7J  might even be able to fit 225/45R16 ?   Tyre with a 40 profile will create a fairly hard ride, maybe too hard ?  50 profile on 16" rims might possibly be too much, i.e clearance issues ??

Si 

Good point to look at 16s, 205 45 16 is a good size for 16s.

I reckon I could get something more meaty on my 15in Borbets.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, vw rule said:

Great looking cars there guys and the wheels aren't bad either 👍

I found this website with good info regarding some of the original VW wheels.

I think possibly with 16" wheels you'd want 215/45R16 for 7J  might even be able to fit 225/45R16 ?   Tyre with a 40 profile will create a fairly hard ride, maybe too hard ?  50 profile on 16" rims might possibly be too much, i.e clearance issues ??

Si 

Here's that website to some of the info regarding the original VW wheels on the Golf and Corrado. For some reason it didn't upload on my previous post.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/1000q/wheels/15-16-VW-wheel-gallery-4x100.htm

Si

205 should be ok for 7" wheels. I had 205 on 7.5" which gave a little stretch (necessity rather than choice) so I think they would be perfectly good on 7". 50 is the only profile for 15" wheels, 45 = 16", 40 = 17". You'll mess with the rolling radius and put your Speedo out past 5% iirc which is max difference allowed to remain legal. You should be good with an offset of ET30 as well on that width of wheel. 

42 minutes ago, MJA said:

Good point to look at 16s, 205 45 16 is a good size for 16s.

I reckon I could get something more meaty on my 15in Borbets.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I've had 17" rims on mine, still got them in the garage as my Corrado is off the road, never again though 17" with 40 profile the ride is just too harsh, it's not bad on half decent roads but just makes the suspension feel too hard. But the grip is amazing but just too much on the firm side, mind you I bought them when I was 25, now I'm 44 old git 🤫😆 I'm tempted to go back to 15" or possibly some BBS 16" not sure yet.

I'd go 16" rim's max but no more, if you can stay with original 15" size, it suits the car better and with 50 profile you have some stiffness but not too much. With the 45 profile it'll be firmer but should be ok I think. It really comes down to your personal taste how you want your overall suspension to feel.

Si 

205/50 seems the best option, sadly much more expensive than 195/50. I had thought speedlines were ET35 but are ET43 so that messed with some of my "will they fit" tests. Although I am comparing to speedlines the car these will be going on is the 16v which has factory "westwood" alloys with 195 50 tyres. They look undertyred to me and the alloys compared to speedlines and sit pretty inbound in the arch - they're 6J and ET35 so 205 50 seems to be the way to go.

The higher the ET the further into the arch, 43 will be closer to the strut than 35

1 hour ago, MJA said:

205/50 seems the best option, sadly much more expensive than 195/50. I had thought speedlines were ET35 but are ET43 so that messed with some of my "will they fit" tests. Although I am comparing to speedlines the car these will be going on is the 16v which has factory "westwood" alloys with 195 50 tyres. They look undertyred to me and the alloys compared to speedlines and sit pretty inbound in the arch - they're 6J and ET35 so 205 50 seems to be the way to go.

Yeah the 205/50 are not a very common size so much more expensive than 195. I have a pair of budget Runway tyres that are about 4 years old now, but have never seen the road. Yours for £20 + postage if you want them?

I’ve just had 2 new Toyo proxes TR1 205/40 ZR17 84W,fitted on the front,paid £78 each,I’ve had an issue with the steering wheel shaking at 70 and this seems to have solved the problem.I love driving my supercharged VR6 😉

3 hours ago, Nmdsec said:

I’ve just had 2 new Toyo proxes TR1 205/40 ZR17 84W,fitted on the front,paid £78 each,I’ve had an issue with the steering wheel shaking at 70 and this seems to have solved the problem.I love driving my supercharged VR6 😉

Sounds like the wheels were newly balanced when you got the new tyres fitted - always worth checking and doesn't cost much to balance wheels.

10 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Sounds like the wheels were newly balanced when you got the new tyres fitted - always worth checking and doesn't cost much to balance wheels.

That was my initial thought,so I had the front wheels balanced,admittedly at a different tyre place to where I went this morning,but this made no difference.After speaking to a few more knowledgable people than myself,it could have been a number of things at fault but thought I would start by replacing the tyres.Hopefully this is sorted now but will keep a close eye on tyre wear to see if it returns.