ger040

difference in corrado & golf vr6 cams

thanks philly for the link

there actually is a difference in duration i thought the difference was only in the block

26 minutes ago, ger040 said:

thanks philly for the link

there actually is a difference in duration i thought the difference was only in the block

The duration is the same on the exhaust, just 10 degrees earlier?

This is far to confusing you'll have to just get 263 cams to make sure 😅

Why would the 2.8 be different ? 

1 minute ago, Keyo said:

This is far to confusing you'll have to just get 263 cams to make sure 😅

Why would the 2.8 be different ? 

USA emissions I'd guess? That's why they didn't et the 2.9?

1 minute ago, Dox said:

USA emissions I'd guess? That's why they didn't et the 2.9?

Cant think of any other plausible reason - one other thing I have noticed is late VR blocks even in 2.9 form have a different bottom end casing- has engine number on the rear of the block not the side and also has some additional threaded holes in the  casing on the side of the block behind the timing tensioner= have no idea why unless it was something to do with OBD2 and additional auxiliaries housing off the block .  All storms will have this casing including my own late car.

This thread may address your question: What's the differences between Golf and Corrado cams? | Club GTI - I see it has already been mentioned.

I have owned and driven Corrados: conversions with AAA engines installed, owned two with original ABV engines with and without dizzies. ABV engines- they behave differently they are more lumpy and the torque curve is quite different. Although the pistons are different, the ABV engine has a different dwell angle on its cams - really obvious when moving from the AAA engine to the ABV. I suspect most of that torque difference and high end behaviour is the cams, not just the maps.

The bottom half of the ABV block has a thicker bearing carrier. I was surprised to find that.

Edited by Bruno