Keyo

Question for gearbox bracket.

Hi everyone. 

I have purchased a used 02A  gearbox to start building up the 5 th and 6 th gear add on - means I can swap the boxes out and keep one original  and only have the car at stealth for one day. .

My question is this long bracket came with the box and I cant see one on my box- is it meant to be on my car- my car is a 95  . Shall I fit it when I put the box on - looks like a good bit of extra support. 

Thanks

Bracket No 31 on diagram and pictures of it missing on my rear right engine / gearbox mount. 

Thanks 

ns.jpg

ns1.jpg

ns2.jpg

ns3.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Ooo I will check mine tomorrow to see if it has that fitted and let you know 🧐

1 minute ago, Cressa said:

Ooo I will check mine tomorrow to see if it has that fitted and let you know 🧐

Thanks I dont believe late cars have it fitted but could be wrong. 

Also is ATE the oe manufacturer for slave cylinder ?  I see TRW are available to who from my experience are a quality oe brand. 

Thanks 

Mine is a late car and doesn't have the long bracket. I also noticed it in the Bentley and wondered what it was for!

I bought a Sachs slave cylinder on the basis the clutch/pressure plate was also Sachs as recommended by Stealth, so in my head made sense to match! I saw the TRW ones available as well and would have happily gone for those as well, although I think was a little pricier than the Sachs from memory.

Not sure on the OEM. I assumed my old one was OEM but have had a look at comparison photos I took and it seems to be FTE brand - so not sure.

Slave Cylinder, clutch FTE KN23021F1 - Buy at AUTODOC

This is it so doesn't look OEM if on Autodoc, although pricy (when available) compared to the Sachs/TRW. Who knows.

Here's it side by side with the Sachs:

y4miNGkro7M10OGohPuYxo9KRWq37fUBehIGOxGf  y4mbf6vYoWKNjv6ubYDFRnRnOd0dkA2CRg-fNhn5

Sachs is the shiny one! it was a fair bit weightier than the FTE.

Ok thanks for the info and photos much appreciated  is the FTE not ending with an A by chance if it has a vag number - I have a Sachs clutch as well - was the sachs a direct fit ? 

You would like to think the Sachs one is newly manufactured not a recon like some of the Brembo stuff knocking about any hard press stamps on on the sachs. I believe the fte one to have a wider rod 23.8 mm and ate 23mm - could be wrong though.  . 

Cheers. 

Edited by Keyo

Here is a genuine one described as an A on the end of part number as described by etka for corrado ,  but I cannot see no A on the end of the cylinder on photo. It is an FTE one but surely the stock one was ATE ? 

https://vwpartsinternational.com/shop/electrical-engine-parts/vw-golf-mk3-vr6-clutch-slave-cylinder-genuine-oem-vw-parts-brand-new-357721261a/

Edited by Keyo

The listing didn't mention anything about being recon, just said new, so I would hope it was, but I suppose can't be sure. It did have some hard stamp on it:

y4mUCZyJBOOF-U5Ot_pa6LzPIFNlw-tqIDyYQHjL

You can just make out an 80 but the Sachs part number was just printed on, so I don't know.

That link does look the same, unfortunately I don't have a photo of the other side of it where the VW number would be. I am sure I remember it having a VW stamp on it. Will see if I can spot it in any other photos. 

1 minute ago, oneohtwo said:

The listing didn't mention anything about being recon, just said new, so I would hope it was, but I suppose can't be sure. It did have some hard stamp on it:

y4mUCZyJBOOF-U5Ot_pa6LzPIFNlw-tqIDyYQHjL

You can just make out an 80 but the Sachs part number was just printed on, so I don't know.

That link does look the same, unfortunately I don't have a photo of the other side of it where the VW number would be. I am sure I remember it having a VW stamp on it. Will see if I can spot it in any other photos. 

Thanks mate I have the same issue still got the original one on my car and cant see it- I just want to put in a new slave with the gearbox rebuild - good sign if the sachs is stamped . 

I wonder if it has an A on then end as per etka. lol never easy been a corrado.  

Would you mind if asked what paint did you use to spray your box looks very good. I know alloys paint can find it hard to adhere to. 

Cheers. 

Hard to see, but from this picture I don't think it does:

image.png

You can just make out 261. Unfortunately I have thrown it away with moving house so cannot double check.

I think sometimes VW update the part number with A, B for their records but the part is exactly the same so the manufacturer doesn't add the letter? On Autodoc the part numbers go:

• OEN 357 721 261 — VW
  • OEN 357 721 261 A — VW
  • OEN 357 721 261 B — VW

And they must all be the same part.

Cool thanks- I think its fair to say the slave is the good cylinder and the masters are the real pain the ass ha. 

6 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Would you mind if asked what paint did you use to spray your box looks very good. I know alloys paint can find it hard to adhere to. 

Cheers. 

Ah thanks! I used U-pol acid 8 etch primer I think,  and then VHT silver. It has seemed fairly robust so far, time will tell I guess.

Edited by oneohtwo