Cressa

Noisy steering wheel

Has anyone else ever had a grating sound coming from the steering wheel when turning? 

At first I thought it would be an immobiliser ring rubbing on the actual shaft

I have narrowed it down to the copper electrical tab that makes contact with the steering wheel. No matter how I bend twist or alter this, the noise wont totally go away. 

It is driving me mad.  I probably have the original hazard switch as the contact seems very flat, so maybe I should just change that... but then where is a good place to get one/brand

All replies gratefully received  👍

Try a bit of silicone grease, if not then replace the ring on the steering wheel or the bit it comes into contact with. 

I've had the horn ring / wiper (the bit that touches the horn ring on the steering wheel) arc and pick up creating a spike that causes a scratching noise on other VWs, a light clean with emery paper and a smear of Vaselene cured it

13 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Try a bit of silicone grease, if not then replace the ring on the steering wheel or the bit it comes into contact with. 

Tried the grease and it sounded slightly better

9 hours ago, Dox said:

I've had the horn ring / wiper (the bit that touches the horn ring on the steering wheel) arc and pick up creating a spike that causes a scratching noise on other VWs, a light clean with emery paper and a smear of Vaselene cured it

Cleaned both with a very fine sandpaper and all seems good.

So thank you gents,  hopefully problem solved. It has been on my list for ages....