Keyo

288mm front brake upgrade hoses

6 hours ago, Keyo said:

So guys before I send the 288 mm off for refurb . 

cupra brake upgrade 4 pot. . 

what do we now about this mod - size of brakes - fit stock alloys - modding required to fit - maybe to heavy for wheel  sprung weight ? 

year of Cupra  r they come off ? 

cheers 

hi m8

AFAIK 4 pot upgrades normally need a 16" wheel minimum - which was a main reason i went with the HiSpec 4's as they are manufactured to fit under the 15" speedline but i may be wrong

1 hour ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

hi m8

AFAIK 4 pot upgrades normally need a 16" wheel minimum - which was a main reason i went with the HiSpec 4's as they are manufactured to fit under the 15" speedline but i may be wrong

Oh right dare I ask how much they cost - they ok with the original brake servo. Set up . 

19 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Oh right dare I ask how much they cost - they ok with the original brake servo. Set up . 

not cheap but i made a saving by getting my mechanic to process the purchase so HiSpec gave me trade price (which essentially was the VAT off if i remember right)

as with most things i believe they have gone up in price recently but i think i paid around £650 which was for everything required - so, calipers, brackets, braided hoses, discs & pads.  only thing i had to purchase extra was 10mm hubcentric spacers.  i put full info in my build thread somewhere

i find them fine on the OE servo etc, the pedal is what some would describe as quite long but you get used to that & the performance from them is night & day compared to OE calipers

2 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

hi m8

How did you find their performance compared with 288s?

33 minutes ago, fla said:

How did you find their performance compared with 288s?

ive not had 288's so difficult to say but there is a mechanical difference to consider as they are not a sliding caliper like OE ones, they are a proper 4 pot system 

3 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

ive not had 288's so difficult to say but there is a mechanical difference to consider as they are not a sliding caliper like OE ones, they are a proper 4 pot system 

I had some 6 pot brembo on a heavy mustang once and they stopped the heavy car like no other - I remember the Sl500 R129 I had  record breaking stopping on release but todays standards felt sloppy and spongy- brakes have come a hell of a long way. 

Just now, Keyo said:

Interesting they did not mention the 305 mm upgrade- that sounds like a sweet spot ?  

It was on a MK4 based thread

I have 4 pot brembos on mine. Narrow track.
I'm using mk3 golf 288mm discs with customs carriers. The pad is fully to the edge of the disc so no unswept area at the disc edge.
I currently have d90s with adapters and have no clearance issues.
I bought a set of 15" speedlines and I'm in the process of getting them fitted as it's not a straight forward swap. The caliper is fouling the spokes and the barrel.
I'm still taking measurements and I think I will need 20mm spacers (less if I swap to mk4 golf 288mm discs as they have a larger offset) to clear the spokes. As it's narrow track this 20mm will help fill the arch better, similar to the wide track.
To clear the barrel I think I need to move the caliper in 5mm, which will leave an unswept area on the outer edge of the disc.
I'm hoping to get this mocked up over the next few weeks and then decide if I stay with the brembos or swap to the mk4 caliper.

Got the Brembo hoses today - they didnt come with the banjo bolts or washers- bit of a pain to be honest as not using the crusty old ones . Purchased some hel ones instead with clear instructions to insure they are for the Mk3 54 mm 288 mm 95 onwards with banjo - there advert description is a joke. 

6 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Got the Brembo hoses today - they didnt come with the banjo bolts or washers- bit of a pain to be honest as not using the crusty old ones . 

Beggars belief, buy a waterpump, get a new seal in the kit, temp sender, ditto, buy a brake hose and it comes without new sealing washers...... If you were a garage trying to earn a living with a car stuck on the ramp waiting for 2p worth of washers.

1 hour ago, Dox said:

Beggars belief, buy a waterpump, get a new seal in the kit, temp sender, ditto, buy a brake hose and it comes without new sealing washers...... If you were a garage trying to earn a living with a car stuck on the ramp waiting for 2p worth of washers.

Pretty annoying and the banjo bolts and washers dont seem to be on etka anywhere but cost a lot stand alone from doing injector lines in the past- probably best to go with the stainless steel in the long run.