Sign in to follow this  
fla

Wiring amp

Is there any way to wire an amp so it only comes on when the engine is running rather than any time the head unit is switched on? Ive put a basic rocker switch so i can switch it on or off manually but don't know if this is the best way to do it.

Thanks 

Hasan

Edited by fla

im not sure amp's are designed to operate that way

most need a fused live feed direct from the battery & then use the remote wire to signal it to turn on/off once the head unit is turned on/off

why would you want to switch the amp on manually on its own?

You could connect the remote wire on the amp to the fuel pump then the amp would only run when the pump was running?

4 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

im not sure amp's are designed to operate that way

most need a fused live feed direct from the battery & then use the remote wire to signal it to turn on/off once the head unit is turned on/off

why would you want to switch the amp on manually on its own?

Basically to ensure i don't drain the battery when parked up listening to it when the amp is not required...still got a drain that I'm in the process of locating.

I would run the remote wire from the radio to the amp through a relay, the relay could be switched by fuel pump supply like Dox suggested, you could then put a manual over ride on the amp side of the relay in case you needed it.

That would keep the circuits separate in case of any interference from the 2 pump motors