Sallyanne

Retrofit air conditioning

Hi all, not sure if I’m posting in the right bit of the forum… Has anyone had air conditioning retrofitted to their Corrado? If so, was it successful and how much did it cost? After melting in my VR6 in a 33 degree traffic jam today, I’m seriously considering it if it’s feasible.

2 minutes ago, Sallyanne said:

Thanks so much!

not a problem - i am sure a couple of those who have delved into the Davia system will pop up with some advice too

it wont be cheap though i know that much but then when is anything which has "corrado" related to it lol

7 minutes ago, Sallyanne said:

Thanks so much!

just in case the search is a bit fiddly try starting here....

Thanks again! Will try A/C engineering in Chertsey as they came up in a search from above and I’m in London (albeit the other side). I know it won’t be cheap but I’m planning on keeping the car indefinitely so might be worth the investment.

9 minutes ago, Sallyanne said:

Thanks again! Will try A/C engineering in Chertsey as they came up in a search from above and I’m in London (albeit the other side). I know it won’t be cheap but I’m planning on keeping the car indefinitely so might be worth the investment.

any time 🙂

good look with the place in Chertsy - pls do put a post up with what they say

So, where to start ... You need some really crucial parts from a donor car, most importantly

▪The Diavia heater box and fan assembly.  Inside this is an Evaporator that is obsolete. I fitted a later VW one in mine but the pipes needed re-welding.

▪All of the wiring and relays including the 2 dashboard switches.(Although mk3 golf can be made to fit and look better.

▪The brackets for the condensor which fits on the front of the radiator. New Condensor is just over £100.  

▪The bracket for the receiver drier which fixes on the above. New drier is universal and a hella one is around £30.

The hoses...... really needed to have as a pattern to be re-made as they will need replacing if you want reliability. Anything from £170-£540.... I do have a new spare set if you needed these. The cheaper ones

▪The aircon compressor which is a Sanden make, but you will need the brackets to fit it to the engine and the longer aircon belt. It may be a wider belt and if so the pulleys on your alternator etc. Will need changing.

Honestly..... certainly is do-able as a challenge but would not be cheap ££££

Let us know if a company would do it, though I am sure they would not want to touch such a 2nd hand project.

I think it is a great idea, so roll up your sleeves and get the spanners out. It isnt impossible,  just a challenge

And has been done by others, so...

Plenty of help and advice on here 

👍

A/C was never standard fitment in UK Corrados, the Diavia was retrofitted, some better than others even when originally done! I like a few others have fitted the full Climatronic climate control from various VW variants, mine for example came from a Passat, although they’re all old cars now so finding a breaker with all the bits can be quite difficult. It is however well worth the pain if you’re successful.

Good luck with it though, look forward to the updates!

I am currently working on some parts for original air conditioning that are no longer avilable.

When these parts are ready, there are all  necessary parts to retrofit an air conditioning system, at least for all LHD VR6 Corrados.

Edited by Sprinter53i

I may have nearly all the high/low pressure (O.E Goodridge ABV 2.9 Vr6) pipes going spare, along with the aluminium compressor bracket that bolts up to the engine.

The crashed car was scrapped way back in '93 as it was wiped out down one side..

Let me knoiw if you need them, it's a start..