Wild-Animal

Drivetrain Bolt Grades

Hi folks,

I am looking to replacing the bolting on the rear and front end of the car. For the front subframe, rear axle, axle studs, retaining axle brakets etc. The current bolts I have are heavily rusted on their heads. Does anyone know what grade of bolts are used, e.g.are they all 8.8 across the whole car? I may have to get a few from VW. My plan was to source most of them myself.

Thanks

The load bearing bolts are all 10.9. VW will stock some, but if you search Zap7VW you can obtain the part numbers for everything you need. What you can't get from VW you should be able to source from elsewhere on the net. 👍

Edited by seanl82

I had some heavily rusted bolts and thought I had nothing to lose in trying the electrolysis method. What a God damn miracle cure that is and only needs a battery charger and simple items.

Well worth a go as it rejuvenated my bolts recently. I then treated and them,  but am toying with the idea of home plating

Saved a fortune, but new is always nice

thanks, that Zap7VW website its a huge help! 👍 going to save me a lot of time.

I did look to try and plate them but the heads of the bolts are quiet corroded. I think I will end up getting them replaced.

Thanks, appreciated

2 hours ago, Wild-Animal said:

thanks, that Zap7VW website its a huge help! 👍 going to save me a lot of time.

I did look to try and plate them but the heads of the bolts are quiet corroded. I think I will end up getting them replaced.

Thanks, appreciated

If you look at the link below I just fitted these and 6 go in the rear beam brackets and two in the rad support panel to attach it to the the front support- I always use new bolts in the subframes as most them are stretch bolts - does cost a fortune though if using original vag bolts. VW charged £5 each for them but these were £1 from Audi and are subframe bolts- plus they are obsolete the vw ones in the UK at present. 

Edited by Keyo