Bodgerbedge

VR6 valuation advice

Hi. 

I am currently searching for a VR6 to use as a daily runner and show car. 

I am in touch with an owner selling a 1994 VR6 with approx 130k miles and in beautiful condition with plenty spent on it to get it to tip top condition. It's had a full respray, new tyres, clutch, timing chain and suspension. It is completely standard with everything working. The leather may need a little rejuvenation to get it perfect. Asking price is currently around £14.5k. 

Prices appear to be all over the place but I am unsure if the asking price is correct. It's seems to of had more than that spent on it with full documented evidence. 

I am just worried that I may be paying over the odds in today's climate and I really can't afford to lose on it. Everyone says that prices are going up but it looks like the higher priced cars simply are not selling! 

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Your own budget is always a good place to start. Then why not make an offer your are happy to pay? There is plenty of info on auction sites, fleabay and  the trade sites to allow you to get an average - if you are really want to buy a car, buy the best you can afford with a focus on good bodywork and as little rust/rot as possible.

These were never, and certainly aren't anymore, "commodity" cars where one example the same age, miles and condition is equivalent to another, as there are too many variables - a lot depends on the buyer as well and what they are looking for.

Having said all thar - if it's not a Storm (and can't be based on the year I'd say) it's a bit steep and 10-12k would be more realistic for me, but without seeing photos and looking at the carr that's just a guess. The quality of the respray is important, and slow how long ago "things were done", backd by receipts. A full glass out respray will easily set you back 5k if done properly, however a seller will not be able to revoup everything spent on a car at sale time.

Hi,

As fendervg says really - you buy in condition and to get a decent Corrado with all the bits done you are looking at £12-20k for the best examples. 

There are cars at the £4-7k bracket that may look nice in pictures but paint and body might be needed (expensive) and a mechanical refresh is also pretty expensive vs the value of the car. 

You're almost always better off paying more and getting the best you can over going cheap and renovating yourself. I wouldn't worry too much about overpaying for that reason.

Re the car you are looking at the list of jobs done sounds good. Where was the work done? I'd be less attracted if the mechanicals were done on someone's driveway vs a reputable garage however if you're confident in the seller it mitigates this.

At 130k I'd also want to see the head being refurbished at the same time. I've had 2 VR6s, one with 155k and my current with 91k. Both have needed a head refurbishment due to oil leaks around the headgasket. It isn't a great deal more to have te head refurbished when doing chains and clutch (c£550 extra including new followers, gaskets seals) and gives peace of minds that a) the head gasket and cooling system is refreshed and b) someone's had a look at the bores for ovulation and considered whether anything more is needed.   

Take the car for an hours test drive then see if it’s worth the asking price asked and negotiate face to face

good comments & input

i do think some of the "having work done on the car" figures need revision though

5k for a glass out respray would be correct several years ago, in current times & having spoken with many body shops after i got my VR resprayed a figure closer or above 10k would be more accurate - especially if welding is needed

my VR is currently having a full underside restoration, IE absolutely everything stripped off, all new parts where possible & refurbished ones were not or to save costs rocketing.....i am still over 3.5k deep & not had the final bill yet - hence around another 5k to be taken into account

head rebuild & chains are a cert, i think with all the new parts, hoses, cooling stuff, bolts etc mine at Stealth several years ago ended up being about 2.5k - id guess you would need to double that now

it is for these reasons, along with the very rare parts i have accumulated & fitted that i will be aiming for a 25k agreed value on the car plus 5k for the wheels themselves.  thus i would agree with matt on the up to 20k & increasing kind of bracket

as such i would concur with other comments regarding buy the best you can afford & that you are happy with.  make sure you crawl all over & under & even take a mechanic with you if able.  i would be happy to help you with what to look for in detail

my personal input is that when we cherish our Corrado's like we do then at some point you just have to accept that they are going to cost you, whether that be at purchase or once you own them

BUT even after around 20 years of driving one it still makes me look back at it every single time i walk away from it

oh & the smile & satisfaction that happens when experience things like at caffiene & machine when surrounded by super cars yet there is a 20+ crowd of people around my VR6 😄

good luck & hopefully you will find the right corrado for you