BensonMotorsport

OEM Radio

Hi everyone,

I have got a 1994 VW Corrado looking to acquire an OEM radio deck. I purchased the Gamma IV deck and it does not fit . Not sure if the 1995 Model has a different slot than the 1994 , would I be better off to get the Gamma 3 instead?

any help would be appreciated 

When you say it does not fit, what do you mean? Any pictures of the problem?

The Gamma IV was standard fit for Corrado in Europe, I have one and several other members here as well, and on the FB page do too, without any problems. It definitely fits all years of Corrado.

The space for a radio is standard singe DIN sized, so should take any model with that specification. The size would not have changed over the years. What you may have is an aftermarket unit that has an internal cage fitted that reduces the size of the aperature - would be worth checking this and seeing if it can be removed if there is one. Also worth checking that there is no excess wiring bunched up at the back.

It goes in but not all the way , it sticks out about 2-3 inches . The wiring is not the issue, you might be right cage might have been modified , unfortunately I am unable to push the unit all the way in.

I had a Gamma in mine for a while no probs. The standard unit in the UK market would have been a Sony tape deck like this sort of thing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266438384680?hash=item3e08f71c28:g:d1IAAOSwoIZlHB~q

Sound quality was awful on the Sony though. Gamma was much better. I now have the Bremen SQR46 which is excellent, looks period but with mod cons. Unit is half the depth of a traditional tape/cd unit so will definitely fit in yours.

1 hour ago, BensonMotorsport said:

It goes in but not all the way , it sticks out about 2-3 inches . The wiring is not the issue, you might be right cage might have been modified , unfortunately I am unable to push the unit all the way in.

Do you have the release keys for the Gamma? You could try inserting them on both sides so tha the locking tabs are flush and then take them off once it is in. It's very strange that it won't fit, there has to be some kind  of obstruction. Most other period unit (cassette or CD) will be the same length.

From what I can see the top (hump) of the deck hits the cage and it won’t go in , I will post pictures, that might help and push the tabs in see if that helps . Thank you for your input 

Is the rubber mount at the back of the unit not sitting in its back mount on the dash correctly... some people take this off. Although if it's sticking out that far its only just over halfway in!!! 

Good luck, or shove it 

Be careful with the console, they break easily and cost lots if in A1 condition

Maybe your has been repaired previously?