Sign in to follow this  
Ford

Urgent advice required from VR6 enthusiasts please

Hi I am looking at buying a VR6 and I hope you guys can help. I have found one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW

It is a great colour and has leathers. New VAG engine that's done 44k (shows 125k on the clock), has all the paperwork. Heater fan and sunroof not working. Scratch on wheel arch and wheels need refurb. He says in excellent working order and is willing to drive it down so I can have a good look -says is an excellent runner. He is willing to except £3k for it. I have a budget of £5k and would be willing to spend £1k to get it back in order - total cost £4k. I had a quote from my garage to do above work and it is under 1k.

Does this sound like a good idea, or am I asking for lots of problems down the line? Would appreciate any advice you could give. Many thanks!

Should I steer clear and just buy a good green one, of which there seems to be a few good ones for sale at the minute.

Look forward to contributing to CF, just hope to pick up a decent VR6 soon. Many thanks.

a new engine! thats pretty cool with only 44k on the engine that souldnt cause you any probs. spraying wheel arch should cost about £200 max. heater fan should be under £50 and sunroof assembly you can pick up from ebay for £100 or so.

be nice to know why it had a new engine as was it all fitted at VW etc etc.

looks nice otherwise

The ad said VAG 'approved' engine, which means absolutely nothing! Get precise details of who built the engine. It couild mean the difference between lasting 3 years, or 10.

Sunroof - easily repairable, £50 to £100 in parts depending on what's broken - Plus labour

Heater fan - £45 from German and Swedish

Wheel refurb - £30 - £50 per wheel

It's the paintwork that's going to be the expensive bit mate.

Have a look at it but don't let your heart rule your head. There a plenty of VRs to choose from, be picky!

K

Many thanks again Jedi! I needed that! So you think it's a goer?

What about the interior, if it's done 125k is the leather going to look tired and am I looking at refurb. He recons its in good nick.

Thanks again

Thanks for the comments K, very valid. Apparently the engine cost £5k and is from VW and another 1k to fit it. Does that sound good? Paint work is a worrier, I have a VW friend who recons hold on to the car for a bit before committing to doing the paint.

Many thanks

Looks like it might need a fog light too.. RHS looks like it might be cracked.

And when he says "fan" does he mean interior fan or the engine cooling fan?

Yeah you are right about the fog light. He says the fan works but its the 1-4 speed controller that doesnt work. Sunroof can open manually. What do you recon on it Dr M? Worth it? I will be looking at it tonight.

fan repair will cost you about £1 if you do it yourself... ;)

Sunroof could be something REALLY simple like the cover on the manual crank hole wasn't closed properly, or a dead switch...

For that kinda money, (£1850 at the mo) it's definately worth it IMHO.. 8)

Well from what you say the work isn't that tricky do deal with, sounds like the sunroof might just need a replacement motor too.

I'd say go on your instincts when you see the car. :)

Drive it very critically - listen for clunks round corners, pulling in funny ways, steering drift, feel the weight of the steering - it should stay meaty and consistent, if it doesn't then you're looking at a rack.. At the end of the day, as long as it's not got a bent chassis or rusted bodywork, the rest can be repaired, but it could cost you a small fortune so be hyper-critical..!

The fog lights aren't too much (well they are overpriced, but they're not so bad that it'll stop you eating for the next three months, unlike many of the other parts on the car!!).

Yeah, but it would cost me £3k to get it off ebay... still worth it? I will then be happy to spend another £1k to get it up to scratch.

Thanks Dr Mat, I will be a passenger as I have a company car, so no insurance yet. So will get them to drive it and hope I can spot things that may be amiss...

Just keep bidding on ebay....

I had same delimma 2 yrs ago.... the guy wanted £4500 to pull it off ebay (this was when they were going for £6k plus) so I said no... I just kept bidding and got the car for £3400 :lol: Reserve is met at £1850 so anything could happen!

Went down and collected the VR6... not regretted it since. I had a couple of jobs to do but with a smashed Corrado on the driveway it wasnt too difficult to butcher some parts before the insurance company came and took it away :lol: - Cost me about £250 to fix mine ... now valued at £6k :shock:

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott, very encouraging news. Unfortunately I am going to the IOW tomorrow so wont be near a PC. I am keen and don't want to loose it, so will put deposit down tonight if it's any good.

The set the maximum you want to pay for it using the ebay proxy bid!!!

Thats what I did.... that way you pay enough to win it but at the cheapest possible price :lol:

Be patient am I am sure you will get it for less than £3k...

Lovely colour that.... :wink:

Cheers Scott, may see what he is willing to accept tonight? VR6 for £3k is not bad though! Love the colour!

£3k is not bad at all considering what some decent VR's are going for... but I have seen dogs go for £2k...

If the car is excellent nick apart from the faults he states (make sure you take the VR6 buying guide with you!!!) then £3k is not a bad price...

But start him off low and work up ;)

Cheers Scott will do. Downloaded the buying guide from this site. So will see how we go. Thanks for all the help guys. Needed a few opinions to put mind at rest! Very much appreciated!

Many thanks again Jedi! I needed that! So you think it's a goer?

What about the interior, if it's done 125k is the leather going to look tired and am I looking at refurb. He recons its in good nick.

Thanks again

my cars done 130K, and looks identical to that.

my leather is perfect, no wear at all, not even on the drivers bolster

Thanks Dave, aqua blue with leather - a great combo. I think there is some wear on the gear stick leather, but I guess that's easy to replace? Might be a few scratches to driver side seat. I have a photo and its not perfect. I guess the steering wheel is easy to replace, looks a little scratched. I will have a really good look tonight....

Cheers

gear stick (surround) isn't leather mate.

I got a new one from Halfords, Italian leather universal thing (fits "any" car), think it was about 20 quid, smells like dead cow, yum :D

Dead cow gear stick sounds good! What about a steering wheel, I guess just keep an eye out on ebay. Would like to keep the car as original as possible.

Then just buy the steering wheel / gear gaitor , etc from GPC or VW...

They arent that expensive :lol: