Sign in to follow this  
pablo_vr6

URGENT - throttle cable all wrong

hi all - recently had the inlet manifold off and after reconnecting the car seems definately different. it hesitates to accelerate then takes off as normal.

Ive noticed the throttle cable is pretty slack and wonder if I have it on right. The cable comes across the top of the circular part then hooks onto the bottom bit - pic attached.

Ive tried having the adjuster as far back as it will go but still the same problem.

any help appreciated. buyer coming at 8am tomorrow for it :(

The adjuster clip needs to be forward to take slack out.

Take the clip off, pull cable through grommet until no slack, put clip back in nearest cable detent that retains the tension.

yeah tried that but the cable is still slack :(

it feels like i have to press the accelerator about an inch before something happens :?

dont think so the car drives 100% bar the hesitancy on first touching the throttle.

will go check.

does my little diagram look correct?

Bugger mate.....I'm out of ideas in that case :cry:

I'm sure it's something daft but can't think what at the mo and it's dark.....my camera only just managed those poor shots!

I had exactley the same issue when I fitted mine. The nipple goes further down, past the round thing. If I had light I'd take a photo. Try putting your head between the bulkhead and TB. It took me 20 mins to figure this out.

Sorry about the quality. If you stand 6-10 feet away from your monitor then it looks fine. If it looks good to as it is..... then you need an optician.

cheers for the pic mate - looks the same as I have it now :(

anything else cause a low idle? must be something simple cos it was fine before the manifold came off :(

Pablo, I put a new cable on the other day and its a nice fit, Thinking about it, it can be loose because:

1. the cable is knackered

2. the wrong one

3. the throttle body end is not on properly. This was my issue.

If you can get some pics up then might be able to help. Also I dont think the throttle cable sets the idle, so if its low its something completely different. check nothing else has been disturbed / does not look right.

I might pull tha manifold off again and check all my connections. might be worthwhile cleaning that ISV thingie.

Its not so much the idle thats the problem as the hesitation on the pedal before getting power. the power kind of snaps in quite harshly when you sink the boot.

Low idle won't be anything to do with throttle position - idle is controlled by the ECU.

Talking of which, if you've modified the cable position you may need to reset the ECU so it can re-learn your throttle position sensor settings. Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes, then reconnect and go for a drive. Make sure you use full throttle a few times, so it can auto-range.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

did you know they are the same as the fiat coupe 20v turbo maf? well they look identical anyway.