Sign in to follow this  
Scott

Pug 306 Diesel Tuning

Anyone know where I can get Diesel Tuning done for my Pug 306 in the North West for sensible money?

Apparently cos its a mechanical diesel turbo engine I can get gains of 20-30% for not alot of cash so would make the drive to work more interesting :lol: :lol:

Thanks mate...

I have a basic understanding of what to do but am concerned about how much I need to turn up:

Boost Compensator Fuelling

Fuelling on Pump

Wastegate (to increase boost)

Apparently just doing basic optimisation that alot of firms charge hundreds for that you can do in 30 mins I could gain as much as 20% increase in POWER and TORQUE :lol:

The boost compensator fuelling doesn't do all that much, it just seems to govern how much smoke u get. This is very easy to adjust anyway, so do this last and decide how much extra smoke your willing to cope with in relation to power increase. Adjust this in 1/8 turns

Fuelling on pump >> for this about 1/4 of a turn is enough. But this depends on higher pressure you go for on the turbo. Obviously the higher turbo pressure, the more fuel you can give the engine. For up to 19psi I'd say 1/4 of a turn is enough.

Wastegate >> this needs a boost guage. The turbo can happily take up to around 19psi. Above that your going to start reducing the life of it, also the temperatures start to rise rapidly meaning you need an uprated intercooler or chargecooler, otherwise you don't really see improvements when then engines hot.

So do the Main fuelling first >> 1/4 of a turn, then the wastegate up to 18 or 19psi, then just play around with the boost compensator until your happy with the smoke to performance ratio :)

Record everything you do so you can put it back to how it was if ur not happy.

After I did this to mine it had around 110bhp (estimate) however on a rolling road day one guy got 118bhp out of his, and he was only running about 17psi I think... so well worth it :)

Nice one! :D

Can I not leave the boost compensator alone so I get no smoke>? :-P - :lol:

Looks like I need to get a boost guage then as would have no idea how to turn it up to 118 / 119 PSi...

:oops:

It's all about torque with these diesels, the power figures are (almost) irrelevant - what were the torque outputs for these engines?

can't remember what the torque figures were, but you can feel the difference no matter what the actual figures are. The fuel economy is only effected when on full throttle. If u drive with a light foot, then you get the same mpg.

You always get smoke with this optimisation thing - it'll amuse u how much. Put ur foot to the floor below 2000rpm (before the turbo has kicked in) and you get a nice black smoke screen (James Bond style if u will) coming out the back of your car :lol:

Arse... really dont want a smoke screen out of the back... :oops:

Is this because you are upping the fuelling pre-turbo.... I assume this is too do with the main fuelling feed rather than the boost compensator?

306 TD :lol:

oh dear :lol:

Its a car for work mate..... :roll:

15k miles in 4 four months with nothing replaced other than tyres and no problems shows its a good car... :-P

She does do 650 miles to £40 of diesel..... :lol:

I did probably pay top money for the Pug though - am not sure... but it came with 98k miles, FSH and 1 owner from new... mechanically A1 with some minor scratches on the paint in genesis met blue but its extremely tidy and a nice looking car... paid £1500 from a trader...

Certainly doesnt hang about and corners very well...

Good price, I'd say.

I test drove one a short while back, almost mint with 34,000 miles on the clock, but it showed a few signs of neglect. Brakes had warped through lack of use, handling didn't feel so sharp (think it just needed some air in the tyres!), brakes felt pretty spongey. He wanted nearly £4k for a '95 car due to that low mileage.. I didn't think it was worth anywhere near...

Mine is a 1995 / M reg.

Yup the handling will go all to pot if the tyres are not A1 and have 33 psi front / 35 psi rear...

Brakes are usually very good - probably down to warping them - fluid overheated?

I actually drove about half a dozen before I bought mine and as soon as I drove it I knew it was spot on...

Will take it up to about 140k miles (115k now) then trade it in for a newer one or possibly a VW Passat TDi... we'll see.

Scott.

306 -> Passat?! Jeez, that's an interesting change! Completely different cars!

Yeah, I'm sure the brakes just needed overhauling and fresh fluid etc. The missus has a nice LHD 206 with pin-sharp brakes, and I've driven 205s in the past so I knew there was something wrong with this one..

Not that I was *very* serious about buying one, was just testing the waters really.. The VR6 was giving me grief at the time, big style. (Like when isn't it?!)

Well my thinking is that seeing as its unlikely I will sell the VR6 in the short term I might as well try different cars for work.... :lol:

I am impressed with this Pug 306 though... great car to drive - just need some cyclone alloys for it and I'll be happy :roll:

306 TD :lol:

oh dear :lol:

Its a car for work mate..... :roll:

15k miles in 4 four months with nothing replaced other than tyres and no problems shows its a good car... :-P

i bet they are mate,

im only takin the piss, dont worry :lol:

yeah friad if u want more power, you get a bit of smoke with it - its not all the time tho. You can drive around and never kick out a cloud if u know how to drive the car. Below 3000rpm be very light with the throttle, and then once the turbos up to speed the extra air means the engine can burn off the additional fuel. The smoke is just unburned diesel.

More smoke, More poke :lol:

But how does it fair come MOT time though?

So reckon its defo worth doing to my XLDT then?

Just spray abit of water on the intercooler.......works a treat !! :lol:

Try the place next to minisport in padium , think its called powerzone ? :roll: