Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

VT / VF front engine mount

I'm about to order mine from John in the morning... 8)

(should tell you what my views are! :lol: )

solid doesnt sound too good to me, as i understand it you are meant to have SOME flex??

BTW i have no real idea just a bit of common sense, i hope!! :lol:

Henny, would appreciate your views...when you fitting it?

kevhaywire, thats what i thought but Johns answer was "The reason my solid mount does not cause vibration is because the front crossmember upon which the front mount sits is rubber mounted itself. My JMR solid mount therefore eliminates the undesirable movement found in standard mounts and makes a valid conribution to the transfer of torque and engine stability, which in itself will prolong the life of the rear engine mount. This like all my products is tried and tested, i'm not in the habbit of selling products that make the car worse. Vibratech products have got a good reputation and indeed have used them myself, but at twice the money are a little expensive. " (hope he dont mind me posting that...im just trying to get the best mount as i said)

"no extra vibration" - for once I'm with kev here, it may be a small amount, and it may not be a problem, but I'd be extremely surprised if you couldn't tell at *all*... Considering the rubber VT front mount transmits more vibration than the VW oil filled mount anyway. (Though not enough for it to be a problem.)

What no-one else has pointed out yet is that the whole front subframe (which the mount attaches to) is mounted on rubber bushes too... as long as you make sure that these are in good condition then ANY mount you put on the front (solid, poly or rubber) shouldn't increase the vibration transmitted by much if at all... ;) It's only when you start doing all of the rest of the mounts with it that you'll start getting more and more vibrations...

Anyone who was at the Stealth Rolling road session the other month and saw my car run will be able to tell you just how much my engine was moving as it was loaded up :| I need to do something pretty drastic to it to hold it in the car to be perfectly honest...

I'll do a write up and install guide when I fit mine and make some comparisons before and after... 8) :mrgreen:

Aye, indeed the front X-member is rubber mounted and I've had those hoiked out and replaced with Powerflex ones. Those, the two VT mounts and the rubber gearbox mount all amount to one rock solidly planted engine which aids cornering balance like you wouldn't believe.

Despite the front x-member being 'soft' mounted, I'd be very surprised if you don't get any vibration. As well as supporting the engine, engine mounts also absorb vibrations and harmonics from the engine, so although at low revs you might think you've gotten away with, I'll wager there will be some noticable vibration at higher revs.

You certainly do on with Turn2's poly mount, so stands to reason you will with the solid mount.

I'm all for being proven wrong though and I look forward to sampling a car with a solid mount :wink:

jedi-knight83, yeah, I've done one before so I know it's not too bad a job on my car... 8)

kevhaywire, shame J-DUB wasn't running properly at Inters so I couldn't give you a run in her then, else you could have had a comparative run in her after I do the mount... :|

Front mounts are easy to replace :lol:

No probs Henny, I'm sure I'll catch up with you at some point. I've driven Supercharged's G60 so roughly know what they're like with rubber mounts. Hopefully the solid mount will work out fine, but I dunno, I'd be very wary personally! I'm sure John has done loads of testing, so......

I dare you to put 3 solid mounts on :shock:

I've driven Supercharged's G60 so roughly know what they're like with rubber mounts.

Ah, but my engine, box and suspension ain't exactly standard so there's plenty of harshness and vibrations there already! :oops: :lol:

I dare you to put 3 solid mounts on :shock:

Yeah, like that's gonna happen... I may have gone a little mad with my rebuild, but I'm not completely insane! I've gotta drive this thing 16K a year! :lol:

I think it's all down to *acceptable* levels of vibration. At the end of the day, the engine vibrates badly anyway when you don't get a clean burn, so you will never have an entirely smooth ride 100% of the time.

I found stiffening up my engine mountings have given more benefits than negatives, so it's the usual compromise thing again.

You don't NEED your fillings do you? ;)

*grins back with perfect teeth* :D :p

How hard is it to change the subframe mounts?

I was just thinking, now I have made the front solid, where is the next weakest link going to be!