Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Goodbye intermittent wipe!

How weird.

Went to activate intermittent wipe on the car this evening on the way home from a mates house, and when I flicked it the stalk down nothing happened! It seemed like I kinda had to fight it a liiiitle bit more than would be considered normal, then it went and nothing happened. Other wipe modes work fine, but intermittent is now off limits. Darnit.

What did I say about 100,000 miles being the magic marker? ;)

I've been thinking the stalk has been a bit iffy for a while anyway - sometimes the button to skip through the functions on the MFA doesn't want to play ball either.

Wonder how much VW charge for a new one....................................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lost faith thread rings a bell too :(

Believe me Dave - the car has a LONG way to go before i've lost faith in it. Its been worth the insane insurance costs and the thirst for fuel so far!

G&SF do them.....not as pricey as you think and a little warning here.......for some weird reason, new wiper stalks come with a white plastic lump in the mechanism that prevents the stalk going down. Make sure you remove this before fitting it!

I think it's there to stop the lever moving during transit, which would send the various springs and things flying everywhere.

Yes....I've been that man in the past. Went out in the rain with my nice new stalk and, WTF???? The lever won't go down....so it had to come off again and I found that silly plastic lump!

K

We are talking early interior stalks here, right? Or are you only sure that they sell the late interior ones...

Should do both. I've bought one for a MK2 from them before and I'm pretty sure they do both flavour Corrado ones too.....Where's Steve when you need him??

Should do both. I've bought one for a MK2 from them before and I'm pretty sure they do both flavour Corrado ones too.....Where's Steve when you need him??

99% sure the later ones are identical to mk3 ones too :wink:

99% sure the later ones are identical to mk3 ones too :wink:

Yeah i think they are too. I think i got a later stalk of a mk3 gti, if jim needs one?

Nice one Kev. Need to send a nice PM to Steve then!

Last question - easy job to fit? :)

Yeah very easy mate. Good oppurtunity to fit later stalks :wink: Sure it's not the timer circuit in the relay that's popped?

Wheel and horn off - 24mm nut

Detach and remove lower cowling and disconnect MFA switch plug.

Remove the 3 screws holding the top plate to the stalk assembly and remove plate.

IIRC, the indicator stalk comes off first, then the wiper stalk. They simply pull forward and off. Be careful not to move the stalks as you remove them or bits will drop out!

Then stick it all back together with your new stalk/s.

K

I've got an aftermarket RAID steering wheel which appears to be held on with 6 allan key removable bolts.. I take it these come off giving you access to a boss which is then bolted onto the steering column with the 24mm nut as you describe?

Aftermarket steering wheels: Prise off horn button, then you'll see the main bolt holding the boss + steering wheel assembly to the steering wheel shaft. No need to undo the 6 Allen bolts, as that'll only detach the steering wheel from the boss. Will get you there in the end, but too much work that way.

Jim, we could do this this Saturday, as I might be kinda bored, no major jobs on any of mine to do at the mo', unless one of my toys once again dreams up a nice job for me :lol:

Tempest

Tempest, It depends on the model of steering wheel mate, my Momo Race HAS to have those 6 bolts taken out to remove the horn push (and wheel with it) as the horn push is fitted from BEHIND the wheel so sits between the wheel and the boss... :|

Not a tough job to do though... 8)

Might take you up on that offer Eric.. any idea what our most local GSF is? I've only ever gone up to the Daventry one before which is probably MUCH further than I need to drive?

The Technocentre car park is fast becoming my local garage!! :D

It depends on the model of steering wheel mate,

Erm yes, you're of course right, a 3rd variety being where some leather cover blocks access to the push horn, as is the case with the Momo wheel on my Storm :lol:, but I know Jim's wheel (at least I think I do :lol: ), just didn't mention that here :roll:

Not a tough job to do though...

No, quite, unless some moron has rounded off the allen bolts like was the case with my Momo for my Storm (off ebay) :mad:

any idea what our most local GSF is?

Leamington Spa, less than 20 minute drive, might be going there myself again in the not too distant future. PM me re; Saturday, as work is starting to arrive for my 3 toys again (more goodies arrived at the stealers today 8) )

Tempest

OK, it was the relay ... 8) Luckily thought of checking that before we took off all the steering wheel gubbins :lol:

Just thought I'd let folks know, as it's handy to have solutions to problems.

Now on to mine ...

Tempest

Though its about right that we bought the stalks from Sanburns before actually checking that it was the relay to blame.. doh.

Never mind!

Any luck with the FPR Eric?

Any luck with the FPR Eric?

That'll appear in another thread once I've tested it, it's in though :lol:

Tempest

So er... intermittent wipe is back with no new parts required?! :roll:

Reinserted the relay so I could get some wiper functions (as without it you can only run at full speed wipe?) and found that intermittent worked again. Must have been a bad contact or something.

Ho hum! Case closed! :)

any idea what our most local GSF is?

Head office where I work is only 2 junctions up the M6 (jn5) from Sandburn's

Glad you got it sorted Jim, by the sound of the title i thought you fitted hella raintronic or something similar