Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

changing oil filter?

I'm sure this should be really simple but is my first attempt with a VR6. Just doing a simple plugs, filter and oil change, drained the oil, and undone the screw for the oil filter under the plastic cap. I cannot remove the plastic cap though to get at the oil filter? Have tried using a spanner and mole grips to turn the plastic end but won't budge any ideas, think I need to buy a new plastic cap as cracked it also

you need quite a large socket to get in off, can't remember what size though, something like 26. The filter clips onto the plastic part of the housing.

it just unscrews then? thought it should just very stiff, yeah probably easier if I buy a larger socket size thanks for that. Hopefully can get a new cap from Volkswagen on Monday

The socket size is 36mm even though I dont have a VR Andi the admin does and I had to buy one to get his filter housing off :roll: but you say you've undone the the screw under the plastic cap???? on Andi's VR dont know about others the plastic housing has a 36mm nut moulded into it and you just attack it with the 36mm socet and it undoes the cap so you can withdraw the element inside the housing! There may be variations someone like Kevhaywire will know this as it's his field ay Kev 8)

Okay bought a 36" socket, turned the plastic cap and the end (the part the socket attaches to-nut) has snapped off, any ideas how i get it off now?

The actual plastic oil filter cover has cracked

errrm that could be quite tricky how flippin tight is that cap then it should only be done up to something like 15nm have you got a digi cam that you can take a picture of whats left of it? Probably mole grip are your best bet I know space is a bit limited round that area

step Dad has taken my camera for the day, but the rest of the cap is too wide for mole grips, basically the complete plastic bit that the 36mm socket would go onto has completely snapped off, so i can either try and crack the whole thing? or just take it to Volkswagen ask them to do an oil service and then complain if they charge me more than £60...

I changed mine a while back and it was a very strange thing to get off! I undid the small hex screw then the 36mm plastic bit seemed to come off without too much trouble. I couldn't really work out if you need to do it in that order or if vw have a special tool that consits of a 36mm socket with a small hex in the centre... the you just unscrew the lot together :?

Hope you don't have too much trouble getting the remainder off!! I can't imagine they'll be too expensive from VW.

I had the same problem a few months ago, couldn't get black plastic part off and ended up cracking it too. I had to drill a hole in black plastic and using a big flat blade screwdriver and hammer to hit it with it eventually started to turn but was very tight. I got a replacement black plastic housing from vw, cost me £19. Dealer said I was lucky to get part , they told me there was only a few left in the country. Good Luck!!!!!

yeah I got the hex screw off, then the whole plastic cap that has the nut end snapped so not too shaw what to do? it doesn't matter if it breaks but don't want to bust anything else, have just filled it back up with oil so will take it to VW tomorrow, haven't cracked enough for it to leak just the end bit of the cover, god knows why its plastic in the first place when everything else is metal?

I dont think your supposed to undo the hex bit in the middle as that part is metal iirc and you just undo the big 36mm nut as the hex ibit in the middle is metal iirc and that gives the nut the strength I could be wrong as I ve only done it 2 or 3 times but I think I am right! You could always try an oil filter wrench to remove the platic casing there are quite a few around if its clean and dry then the belt type is your best bet or if it's a bit mucky use the chain version thats if you can get the leverage on them as it is quite tight in there

Oh dear Neil!

For an oil & filter change I do the following:

Drain the oil from the sump.

Then place an oil collecting vessel under the oil filter housing and remove the small metal drain plug with an allen key. This drain plug is for the oil filter. By draining the oil out of the filter before removing it saves you getting oil all over your hand/down your arm when you take the filter out!

Before attempting to remove the black plastic base of the oil filter you should REPLACE the metal filter drain plug! It will reinforce the whole structure.

Use a 36mm socket or 36mm hex spanner to remove the plastic filter base.

Replace the filter and filter rubber seal!

Let me know if you struggle to get a new plastic base. I have a complete oil filter housing for a VR available if you need it.

Asim

Cheers Asim, I always find out the hard way... still having difficulty removing the rest of the plastic cap, I'm going to take it to the garage tomorrow as don't have one on these chain grip things to remove the rest of it, don't really want to attack my car with a drill. But I know for next time! thanks all! :oops:

This drain plug is for the oil filter. By draining the oil out of the filter before removing it saves you getting oil all over your hand/down your arm when you take the filter out!

That explains why I got covered in so much oil :oops:

It will be cheaper and easier to buy a chain filter removal tool mate. If you take it to a garage what will they replace the broken filter base with?

Asim - a new one I'm hoping mate, thing is its also due for a service and although I (now) can do the servicing myself the car has full VW service history so am I going to cut my costs and risk the resale value? or just do everything myself bar the oil servicing and keep the stamp in the book? you are right though I'll have to get phone to get a new part in, I'll call them now. Do you service yours yourself? as the cars are quite rare I don't know if a full vw service history matters as long as everything is carried out and gets a vw check over now and again

I've just got the part ordered in, £16 which isn't bad and can pick it up tomorrow the Colbournes in Guildford is quite good actually! will need to buy one of those chain tools to take the remainder off

Filter housing as you say is very tight on the threads. Easiest way I have found to remove it without breaking is to use a chain wrench arounf the top of the housing, you will see grip marks moulded into the plastic. This gives you more leverage as the housing here has a much wider diameter. You also put much less strain on the housing as you are applying force next to the threaded section.