Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Fitting tyres yourself

Sounds silly I know, but has anyone ever tried?

I've seen some tyre levers in Halfords. How difficult is it and can you buy the valves from somewhere? And does anyone know what that sealing compound is they use?

I've bought some tyres online and a few places are wanting like £15 - £20 per tyre to fit them! Fcuk that. Kind of makes buying online pointless if paying that much :mad:

The plan would be to fit them myself (if possible) and then take them down to a tyreplace just for balancing......which is usually peanuts.

And lastly, anyone had their tyres filled with Nitrogen yet? Supposed to be good apparently.

Mate I think you'd be battling for hours trying to get the tyre off the rim without scratching the hell out of it !

Perhaps find a cheaper place to fit the tyres ?

Nitrogen? I thought that was only to a) stop the wheel rusting (erm, they're alloy!), b) to stop the tyre from deflating. Or did I make that up?

little back road place near me is £8 per wheel for fitting and ballancing.

what tyres did you get at what price? im waiting for mine to wear down before upgrading to 16"

Hmmm....with a bit more digging I've found out the sealing compound, valves and levers will come to about £30! So I may aswell bite the bullet and get them done properly.

Thanks for the tips and advice but I've found somewhere that'll do all 4 for £40, so not so bad as the other places I tried initially!

Jedi - I paid £276 inc VAT & Delivery for 4 x Bridgestone Potenza RE720s 205x45x16.

My two mates have been appraising the F1 GSD3s for the past few months and one of them said they're not as good as his pirellis in the dry and the other said the same, but both agreed they're good in the wet. As I've used these Bridgees for 5 years now and *know* they are superb in all conditions (except snow!), it was an obvious choice.

Matt - Nitrogen has been used in HGVs and F1 tyres for years. The science behind it is nitrogen doesn't leak through the tyres like O2 does, which forms the 72/28 ratio of Nitrogen to Oxygen in Compressed air.

Therefore with 100% nitrogen you get no leakage and the tyres remain at a constant pressure. Motorcyclists and F1 cars also find a handling benefit but I doubt road users would notice a difference. So yeah, you were right :wink:

The machine these tyres places use looks pretty tough, so the lever approach maybe a little interesting :)

I'd hunt around for a better price...

KwikFit wanted 15quid a corner to swap and balance tyres from my 15" BBS to 15" steels, said they were aving a laugh. Local ATS did all four for 20quid cash. They were all off the car so that may have helped as they didn't need to use a ramp.

Jedi - I paid £276 inc VAT & Delivery for 4 x Bridgestone Potenza RE720s 205x45x16.

Matt - Nitrogen has been used in HGVs and F1 tyres for years. The science behind it is nitrogen doesn't leak through the tyres like O2 does, which forms the 72/28 ratio of Nitrogen to Oxygen in Compressed air.

Therefore with 100% nitrogen you get no leakage and the tyres remain at a constant pressure.

That's about what I thought. You should get very minimal leakage anyway, with good wheels, IMHO.

Presumably you're buying yourself some 16" wheels then! :)

suggesting you have some new wheels :lol: 8)

borbets as in your new avatar??? or did you get the speedlines you were making enquiries about?

Yeah they are similar design to the Borbets. A set of 4 brand new wheels and the tyres came to £470! They're cheapy rims (but feel lightweight and strong regardless) so that I can get some bigger brakes..... I am still on the look out for some quality 17s though....namely BBS LMs but I might be pissing into the wind trying to get a set of those :x

I do like to apply quality products to the car where possible, but I haven't got £1000+ for some decent BBS and tyres at the mo......and a £470 mistake is easier to swallow than a £1000+ one :wink:

best thing to do is pop in by your local tyre/exhuast place about an hour before they shut and see igf they'll do them as a casher.................most tyre-places will do this for some extra cash ......just make sure you ask them to be mega mega careful and they'll do this no probs

Kev, you nutter!

Go to X-Spurt Tyres (not far from you)

They'll Fit, Valve and balance all 4 for about £25 - maybe cheaper as there won't be a disposal charge.

Nitrogen is used for inflating tyres because it is inert. A massive safety factor when used in aircraft tyres. No nasty blowouts taking out your fuel tanks.

Except in Paris :cry:

Gavin

H100VW, Damn, beat me to it! Was going to say that., however, my understanding is that it all came about due to an over-heated brake unit on a large aircraft (partially binding) during take-off, resulting in red-hot brake unit. Aircraft took off, undercarriage retracted in to enclosed wheel bay, hot brake ignited tyre, air in tyre fed fire etc. result...disaster. Since then pretty much universal mandatory standard is to use inert gas i.e. nitrogen to inflate aircraft tyres. Not a performance issue in aviation, only safety.

Takes anorak off!

What a bargain, this little lot for £470 inc VAT and carriage :lol: Wheels are ATS/WSL Type Ms, 7 x 16, 5x100, ET38 and brand new old stock. They used to be VW dealer option many moons ago. Good old ebay :wink:

That spoke pattern looks handy for Brembo clearance, which is always a bonus.

Tyres are Potenza RE720s "dual-compound" 205x45x16.

I just hope they look good on the car :?