Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Awesome day!

Well thanks to pestering Henny, who in turn pestered one of the DubForce admin guys I managed to tag along to the Dubforce.Net and Performance VW Magazine group thrash up at Bruntingthorpe today. I was only going to watch but fir whatever reasons a few people didn't show up so I got to participate properly.

I've always wanted to go there, and today really didn't dissapoint.. It was EXCELLENT fun and managed to get my Corrado up to an indicated 140MPH (133MPH according to the PVW GPS tracking gear - doh!) before I ran out of road.. definately had more potential but alas the runway wasn't long enough... and I was too chicken to give it any more to be honest.

I can't thank the DubForce guys enough for letting an outsider tag along.. it was a weird twist of fate that I just happened to have today off work! :)

I uploaded a handful of pictures here :

link removed for now ( been asked to remove pictures until the mag is out.. sorry guys! :( )

Once again.. thanks!

(And yes... picture #6 is a proper Mercedes McLaren SLR that was doing some kind of road test with Evo magazine.. Clarkson wasn't kidding when he said it sounds like the god of thunder gargling with nails!! The noise from it is simply amazing, as is the pace of it!!)

looked a good day out jim.......can just imagine what that SLR must have sounded like.............was passed yesterday by its ickle brother a 600SL and that was just mental sounding :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

From the sound of the V8, its like it never really goes above 3500RPM.. just this deep down gurgling / pounding noise and the weird whine off the supercharger.

Though we all had a point and stare moment as the driver went a bit too fast into a wet corner near us and went rather too sideways.. after a few seconds of dawdling to compose himself (and check the insurance documents were all in tact no doubt) he put his foot down again and shot off at high speed.

heard your car did really well against G60BV's corrado that has 220 or more bhp, im glad cos mine will be same spec bar a Jetex exhaust when it returns from G-Werks......saw the compression test and that is pretty impressive for any mileage car !

Bet you had a wicked day out ! Was it raining when u were hammering down the straight !

Blimey.. news travels fast.

Yeah.. in fact I started to leave it behind on the long straight though G60BV was two up whereas I was on my own, and they were running a non-standard cam...

On my first 'discover the track' set of laps it wasn't raining but there was a bit of surface water.. on my actual timed laps it was raining.. I just made sure I didn't do anything scary into the corners as i'm not experienced enough at this kinda thing! :)

Some good pics there....Henny's is looking good on it's 16" 6 spokers, which bodes well for me :mrgreen:

The other cars are looking cool too and that two-tone MK2 looks very familiar.... not sure where from though...

Sodding IE.. just wrote a lengthy reply and then it lost it.

In short...

Elliot was a really nice bloke - happy to stand around in the rain and chat to us guys all day long - he scores well for bringing along a rather tasty assistant too :)

Feature shouldn't be in this weeks mag - expect it in a month or two I would think! :)

Settle down mate! She worked on a sister magazine.. she wasn't just there to look good!

Who was the fastest on the day, excluding the SLR of course?

You lucky SOB hearing that beast up close and personal!

Makes me laugh cause the head of McLaren and designed of the F1 hates forced induction!

I'm not sure who had the best terminal velocity actually.. pretty sure it was the fella with the MK2 20vT - that thing really had some crazy pace to it. We all seemed to be hitting similar top speeds of around 130-140MPH before running out of road though.

Pretty sure the McLaren was doing around 170MPH down the same straights with plenty more to go as well.. couldn't believe how much faster it got round the track than all of our dubs!

Henny captured some video of it belting past us so hopefully that will surface when he gets a chance to upload it! :)

I think that shows similar gearing in the case of the dubs.....

And as for the SLR....well, 3 times the torque and a far superior chassis....enough said :wink:

Who was the fastest on the day, excluding the SLR of course?

You lucky SOB hearing that beast up close and personal!

Makes me laugh cause the head of McLaren and designed of the F1 hates forced induction!

Gordon Murray ;)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chicane-uk ... orpe04.jpg

loving this pic! :lol:

is the editor as much of a pri*k as he makes out in the magazine? :?:

:lol:

easi mate elliott is a top bloke and went out of his way today to insure everybody got a go with the timing gear etc when really under the crap conditions this morning most other mag editors would of stayed in bed.... hats of to pvw for paying all the expenses for today and making it a top day..

ps. im also sure elliott reads this forum too... :lol:

Fantastic day out, and Elliot seemed to be a top bloke to me too... he even let me store my tools and stuff in their cars while I thrashed the nuts off my car (literally as it turns out! :lol: )

Actually, I am quite glad the weather was damp as I now know exactly where the "OH FU......." point is after giving it a bit too much out of the corner before the main straight and getting VERY out of shape... happily without anyone else seeing or loosing it completely 'cos there's soooo much space it doesn't really matter! 8)

Now I've got my exhaust sorted out again after managing to get it to blow while attempting to break my previous 139.8mph speed down the straight I'm happy again... Turns out that the downpipe nuts I'd got from a local place weren't up to the job (one had melted, and another 2 were just missing! :| ) so a quick trip to ATS on the way home with a quick £5 backhander meant I got to drive home thinking things seemed very slow but nice and quiet... :lol: oh, and my 7.02 second 0-60 made me rather happy too.... especially 'cos it was WET! :D 8)

I've got a load of pics and vids, but at Elliots request, I won't post 'em until the mag is out... Only fair really seeing as they paid for the whole thing and provided all the timing gear! 8)

I had a really good day too, thanks henny, matt and everyone else from dub-force, and it was good meeting everyone else and putting faces to the names.

my top speed was dis-apointing :( only managed about 112mph, i think i did a bit faster later but this was at the red line running out of revs so i might have a re-think on what gearbox to use. :?

i managed a 0-60 of 7.49 and a 1/4 mile of 15.8 which i was happy with, my first time sprinting and the cars still on the standard chip and pulley

the people from PVW where great, :)

Your car was rapid out of the corners though scruffydubbers - you sailed past me without too much trouble. I just wish i'd have known you were a bit easier fodder on the straights :D :)