Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

What's the best size of stretched tyre for 8x15 wheels...?

I'm after a really stretched look for some 15x8" wheels, what sizes do people recommend and if you have pics could you post them too so I can see what they look like..?

Also what make of tyre is best up to the job? its really just for show purposes not peformance or cornering etc

I was thinking maybe 195x45x15...? or can you go more than this...?

yes i would go for a 195/45/15 i would not go for the A539's though as these dont stretch the best. toyo or fulda are my favorites if you want to give them a little stretch.

I had 195 stretch on my 15*8 powertechs for my MK1 .. i luv the look but they handle sh*te.. felt the tyre wall wobbling under hard cornering...

Andy

195 on a 8" will be a good stretch - have this on my Mk1s RS's but I don't like the stretch look all that much.

205 might be safer overall though.

Any pics Asim??

One of the few I have left of my pride and joy since my hard drive died taking all my pics with it :cry:

oh asim why do u do that (post up pics of my fav mk1) i have come over all feint again..

here's another example of a toyo T1S 195/45/15 on a 8" wide rim

oh asim why do u do that (post up pics of my fav mk1) i have come over all feint again..

here's another example of a toyo T1S 195/45/15 on a 8" wide rim

You're too kind Daz :D

Dont do it!!!!

I think it looks ridiculous!!!!!

just my opinion of course, but those tyres were certainly not designed to be stretched like that.

Look bloody dangerous to me

Dont do it!!!!

I think it looks ridiculous!!!!!

just my opinion of course, but those tyres were certainly not designed to be stretched like that.

Look bloody dangerous to me

well i have pushed quite a few cars very hard on these sizes and never had any problems..

i also run 205's on 9x16" which again get pushed very very hard. i do not recomend 205's on a 9" but have no probs with 195 toyo's on a 8 at all

just my opinion of course..

CoxyLaad I agree. Having tried it I neither like the look, or how it drives. While it's not totally dangerous, it's definitely not the best way to mount a tyre.

To be honest I only went this way at the time as I wanted a slight dish to the wheel (so went up to 8" wide), and 195s are the max size for a Mk1 without serious arch mods.

It just worries my that its not how the tyres were designed to work

I bought a mk2 with tyres like this and I hated the way it handled

not for me I am afraid.

I wonder what the insurance company would say if they say a tyre stretched over over a massive rim in the event of a claim.

My 205x45x16 Bridgestones appear to have a slight stretched look on my 7" rims, let alone 8s or 9s! I don't understand why but they look skinnier than my 15" versions of the same tyre! Strange....

Do 215s fit under Cs alright as I might go for the chunky look when the Bridgees have worn out?

Do 215s fit under Cs alright as I might go for the chunky look when the Bridgees have worn out?

You should be fine mate as your car isn't stupidly low. What offset are your wheels?

Cheers Asim. The offset is 38. There looks to be plenty of inner and outer arch clearance so I might try some 215s next year then :lol: Just hope the extra width doesn't kill my nice new steering rack :? I was forever replacing racks on my BMWs because they over-tyre their cars.

How would standard 205 / 50's be on an 8 x 15 rim ? I'm currently running 205 / 40s on 8 x 17 rims & they fit ok, just a bit hard.

Cheers,

Robbo