Sign in to follow this  
solomk1

gearbox for a g60 ???

does anyone know what is my best option to get a little more mph out o f my g60 in 1st n 2nd ie a taller ratio box will a tdi box go on of a mk3

cheers dale

i hav been told a mk3 16v box are way better ratios and will get me about the 60plus mark in second !!!

any info pls welcomed

cheers dale

I run Golf VR6 CCM ratios which are all a bit longer than standard. With around 200bhp+?? it works a treat.

I run Golf VR6 CCM ratios which are all a bit longer than standard. With around 200bhp+?? it works a treat.

Just out of interest, where did you get this done? & how much approx did it cost from start to finish? if you don't mind me asking :wink:

Cheers

Dan

I bought a donor Golf VR6 box from a scrapyard for £250, removed my box and sent both to gearboxman.co.uk who swapped the ratios box to box for £100/£200 (can't quite remember). Refitted my 'new' box and then even managed to sell the Golf VR6 box with G60 ratios inside for £250 :o)

i am gonna give the valver ratios a go as the box is a dirrect swap !!! i will let you know how i get on and then if all good i will be selling my g60 box :D

that is all good news as my mates g60 has got a 20v box on and does 67mph in second and pulls like a train to the limiter in all the gears

i will know sunday on the way to edition 38

cheers dale :shock:

so..should i be hanging onto my 16v gearbox off my passed away 1991 1.8 16v? I am gonna buy a G60 with the insurance payout you see...so just wondering if its worth keeping.

Also heard that it may suffer in higher gears (slower) but pulls like a train in first 2 i think it is. :|

VR second with a 3.39 diff is good for 74mph. A VR box with a 3.6 diff is absolutely superb but will it fit the G60 bell housing? Just thinking it might be easier to use a VR box and 3.6 diff and bolt it up to the G60 bell housing.....dunno if it's do-able tho.

I'm pretty certain that Vince told me that the internals of the Corrado gear boxes are ALL interchangable, it's just the bell housing which stops you being able to swap the box complete.... You'd need to speak to him about it to confirm that though...

well lads its like this the valver box is peachy !!! 63 in second an it pulls and pulls top end straight to 145 no prob along side a twin turbo supra then he just fooooked off !!! doh

but yes lads its a good move and a straight swap :wink:

well lads its like this the valver box is peachy !!! 63 in second an it pulls and pulls top end straight to 145 no prob along side a twin turbo supra then he just fooooked off !!! doh

but yes lads its a good move and a straight swap :wink:

Great to hear as I have a a Mk3 16v box for my Mk1 G60 conversion too.

Out of interest, what do the revs sit at when doing 80mph? Assuming you've driven that slowly! :lol:

Slightly of topic.... are you the guy who bought the intercooler for £15, and was speaking to me and Beavis at the front of my car?

SO let me get this right, A Mk3 GTi 16v gearbox is a straight swap and gives 63 in 2nd?

Any ideas where I can get one?

right then...i'll be hanging onto my box for a bit then.

scruffydubbers- nice to ave finally talked with you at the show! lets hope you sort this 4th and 5th gear slipping problem out asap...would you know where it revs to then at 80mph?

i will have a look tonight and let ya know revs at 80 ....and yes it was me who bouht the intercooler for 15 quid and knows jody very well from mid vw ....

yes andy twas i and yes the valver box is all good

but i think i might be sellin the g60 !!!!!! so if ya know anyone with a nice straight 90 spec mk2 thats got a knackered eng let me know and i will do a px on my raddo i am going vr6 ztech charged in a mk2 or i will sell the car outright for approx 3500

right then...i'll be hanging onto my box for a bit then.

scruffydubbers- nice to ave finally talked with you at the show! lets hope you sort this 4th and 5th gear slipping problem out asap...would you know where it revs to then at 80mph?

yeah it was good chatting to you mate.

on the 1.8 16v box i think it was sitting around 4000 rpm at 80mph.

i think the mk3 16v boxes have quite a bit longer ratios though.

i'm in the middle of fitting a spare g60 box which will get the car back on the road, once i ve fitted it i'll compare the g60 and 1.8 16v box see if theres much difference.

So check this out, ive got a complete 1.8 16v engine and box and ive got a complete G60 engine and box so which box should i use. Ive heard that the 16v box is a winner on the Gs so wot you rekon?

i should be able to comment soon on the difference between the g60 and the 1.8 16v boxes.

what about a 6sp tdi unit?

does anyone know if these would bolt on?

and are they much bigger in size or will they slot straight in?