Sign in to follow this  
emax

injectors?

Hi there,

Using the car a lot less at the moment and I'm noticing that the car isn't liking being left for sometimes up to a week without use.

If I start the car after 5 or more days, she's reluctant to fire and the other day, seemed to be firing on maybe only 4 cylinders initially. A prod of the throttle didn't even see all 6 catch for a couple of seconds (revs didn't rise for the first couple of secs either).

Once all 6 fire up though, there are no further problems and the car is running very well just now (certainly not down on power).

Ever since I've owned it, the car has always taken at least 1-2 secs on the starter to fire and I remember reading in older posts that this can be down to dirty injectors? Do my other starting symptoms indicate this?

If so, am I best to get the injectors ultrasonically cleaned or buy new ones? The car has now done 108,000 and I'm guessing is still on its original injectors.

The car is due its MOT on the 10th (same day my son is due to be born!) and I'm booking it into Star Performance so I'd like to decide in advance whether I get them to replace/refurbish the injectors. Obviously I'll get the plugs checked at the same time (platinum jobs - been on car for 8,000 miles).

You don't normally get many problems from VR6 injectors but I'm sure a clean and balance wouldn't go a miss. New injectors are £45 each plus VAT from Bosch (dunno how much stealers want for them), so £317.25 for all 6 + new seals.

I bought a rail with injectors off ebay for £20, so I intend to get these cleaned and balanced at some point. My local bosch place charge £15 per injector and that includes:- New nozzle filters, ultrasonic chemical bath and balancing / flow measurement. At least you'll know all 6 will be the same but with new ones there's no guarantee they will be, but they would be within tolerance.

As the car isn't used much, you can lift the rail and send them off.

My VR catches on the first crank from cold, regardless of how long it's left, but takes a couple of crank revolutions to fire up when hot. This is normal. I think the ECU needs a satisfactory signal before it engages the ignition and fuel circuits, so there might be a bit dirt on your crank sensor.

As for running on 4 cylinders.....that sounds more related to leads or coilpack, how recent are they?

Thanks for the reply Kev,

When I say running on 4 cylinders, I mean that initially 4 cylininders catch and within another couple of seconds all 6 catch.

I had a coil pack go on me a couple of years ago and the car started to run on 4 constantly. Having said that, I did replace the coil with a cheap 2nd hand one.

Leads are blue igniters, about 2 years or 20,000miles old.

Like I say, the car certainly seems to be running well when warmed up. Although, occasionally it can be hesitant below 2,000, particularly when cold.

Could be a couple of weeping injectors then.

Next time you leave it for an extended period, try relieving the pressure in the fuel rail after it's switched off by loosening the return hose. Or slacken the drain outlet using a small allen key. It's on the end of the rail above the belt tensioner. Do it when the engine is cold!

Then if it doesn't run rough when started the next time, it's your injectors.

I think that will work...... never tried it, just a theory that popped in my head as I typed this....

Great, I'll give that a try if Star can't take the car back in before MOT date (when, most likely I'll get the injectors refurbished on the basis of what you said in your first reply).

Thanks for your help.

Let me know how you get on with the refurbed squirters as I'm planning on doing the same.....

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Kev

Well, got the car back earlier in the week but haven't driven it much yet as the baby arrived on Saturday.

Car fires up much better on the refurbed injectors but not always on the first turn of the crank. Main difference seems to be the revs rise to about 2,000rpm as soon as the engine catches and then settles to a normal idle.

Car still showing some slightly rough symptoms when starting from cold after a few days but much less pronounced than before and seems to fire on all 6 once it catches.

No significant performance difference but the hesitation at low revs is gone and the car feels smoother.

Congrats on the baby :lol:

And good news on the injectors, sounds like you've got a benefit.

Mine sometimes revs to 2000 initially and then settles, on other days it will blip to 1500 and settle.... just another VR oddity I think and I'm 90% sure that's down to the blasted MAF sensor.

Drove a 33K Storm tonight with a brand new MAF and it idles TOTALLY smoothly, starts first crank, no flat spots and smooth through the range....so those bar steward feckin MAFs are complete pain in the backside.....

Car still starting well as above but the hesitation at low revs seems to have returned, only occasionally though.

It has only happened a couple of times but it is quite annoying/embarrasing when it does.

When I pull out of a junction in first with about 1,000 - 1,200 rpm dialled in and then push gently on the accelerator, the car doesn't respond initially. I add more and more throttle without effect and then suddenly, the engine starts to behave and catapults me up the road like a hooligan!!

So the hesitation seems to be back at low revs, again, only occasional. I was wondering what I should be looking for here?

Does this sound like the MAF sensor??

Give it a long run (an hour or so) at motorway speeds, then see if it doesn't run MUCH better afterwards.. Mine does!

Car still starting well as above but the hesitation at low revs seems to have returned, only occasionally though.

It has only happened a couple of times but it is quite annoying/embarrasing when it does.

When I pull out of a junction in first with about 1,000 - 1,200 rpm dialled in and then push gently on the accelerator, the car doesn't respond initially. I add more and more throttle without effect and then suddenly, the engine starts to behave and catapults me up the road like a hooligan!!

So the hesitation seems to be back at low revs, again, only occasional. I was wondering what I should be looking for here?

Does this sound like the MAF sensor??

Just a couple of suggestions as mine is doing similar things on start up...

Is your fuel pump whining? (listen at the back of the car on the driver's side) if it is then you could have clogged fuel filter (probably not been changed since new) and a less than healthy fuel pump. This will be giving you low fuel pressure and could cause crappy starting. I replaced my filter and it was GROSS inside and slightly helped the poor starting. I'm getting the fuel pump changed today (£100ish from the stealer).

Your strange sudden surge of revs could be sticky throttle cable, mine is certainly sticking a bit and is going to get replaced when I've got the time. The cable itself isn't too expensive (£5? £10?)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll take it for a hammering at the weekend and if that fails, follow dinkus's suggestions ;-) She's not getting much use at the moment as I'm trying to cycle into work which is only 2 miles away from home. I don't like running the car over such a short distance as it will eventually kill her.

Try £35 for a throttle cable Dinkus :?

It isn't the cable. It's electrical. MAF or TPS I suspect..... mine did the same this morning and resetting the ECU always brings about a temporary fix. I haven't the foggiest why the engine keeps losing it's tune so quickly, but I'm working on it...

Try £35 for a throttle cable Dinkus :? [/dinkus]

Oh ok, so it is cheap for a Corrado :roll: just not as cheap as I was hoping :(

It isn't the cable. It's electrical. MAF or TPS I suspect..... mine did the same this morning and resetting the ECU always brings about a temporary fix. I haven't the foggiest why the engine keeps losing it's tune so quickly, but I'm working on it...

Yay. I'll do a proper ECU reset at the weekend before the RR day....

Reset the ECU today mate otherwise it won't have sufficient data stored in it for Sunday - unless you go on some mega jaunts the night before :lol: