Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Dizzy's & Coilpacks

my Coilpack on my VR needs changing, was just wondering which is best out of the two systems for tuned engines, also is it possible to convert to either or is the engine different............and do crank position sensors only come on coil pack models.

AFAIK there's really no difference performance wise between the 2. I suppose the conversion could be done, but would probably involve other stuff too, such as ECU etc. so probably not worth it IMO. I'm sure there was a thread on here recently obout just this topic.

Not sure about the crank sensor, or do you mean the Cam sensor? The dizzy engine has a drive wheel for the distributor instead of the cam sensor.

HTH,

Robbo

All VR6s have a crank sensor. The coilpack and Cam sensor does the same job as dizzy and hall sender but with the Coilpack you get a proper 3D timing map and much faster transient response times...... i.e. low tension to high tension amplfication is much faster in a coilpack. I think the coilpack was put on as part of an emissions tightening program on late VRs.