Sign in to follow this  
Mike Edwards

312mm brakes - now fitted

Look huge, but still fit under 16" rims.... :D

Bit of rust due to rain showers :roll:

I can now get the ABS to kick in on dry tarmac without having to stamp on the brakes - just by increasing the pedal pressure :o

Are the calipers any wider than the 280 ones? How does the extra unsprung weight affect the handling? If at all?

Been considering the same setup myself.... and also the 256 vented rear setup. But there's no hurry now that my car actually has brakes after 18 months of having no braking from the rear :?

I think they use the same calipers as the 288's.

If so this would be good as you could swap back to speedlines just by changing the carriers and disks. 8)

Now with a picture.

Wheels are 16" Audi A3 Turbo items.

A good inch of clearance to the inner face of the wheel - which is good when you consider that the original calipers needed 3mm spacers to allow the wheels to turn...

Calipers/carriers, disks, pads and hoses from any 312mm equipped Golf Mk4/Seat Leon/Audi TT (A3/S3 might also work, but need to check).

You'll need spacers (high-tensile steel) of between 5-7mm to fit between the front uprights and the caliper carriers. If you go for 7mm (as sold by AMD if you ask nicely) you might also want to source some longer bolts as there's only ~10mm of thread left (theoretically enough with a safety margin, but more is better).

288mm are much less hassle - they bolt straight on.

Anyone know if im right in thinking the calipers are the same as the 288's? Or is that me talking mince. im sure I read that somewhere before.

my front end is full VR6 plus axle, I see yours is five stud too.

and I am talking about a bog standard washer thickness - whats that? 1- 2 mm?

You need the hose from the new brakes as well as it uses a Banjo fitting at the caliper end rather than the screw-in of the original caliper.

Presumably the other end of the hose is a standard fit? And the hose isn't too long for the Corrado?