Sign in to follow this  
RobyD

MK4 golf brakes?

Long shot but...would the front brake calipers from a 1.8T golf fit on my car (91 1.8 16v)? I have 280mm brake discs using G60 carriers but with the original calipers that the moment. Think the golfs have 288mm size disks

Cheers

Rob

Definitley quite a bit better than standard 16v brakes. Just a pain having to sand down the pads to get them to fit in the std 16v calipers :roll: Worthwhile mod though

Hey Rob hows tricks mate??

I'm running G60 cailpers n Disks, brakes work fine, although I'm thinking to fit braided hoses to now..

hey, im gonna have some vr6 calipers and carriers and hoses (and pads) for sale soon...i have been told they are the same as g60 suff and if you have the g60 discs already it will be an easy swap

Does the mark 4 golf rear brake setup work on the Corrado VR6? if so what are the parts required?

Yup, I've just had them put on my C.

You need the Mk4 rear calipers and Mk2->Mk4 adapter hoses. The whole lot is about £200 from C&R.

yes it will fit and needs exactly the same parts as for any other Corrado as they all share the same rear calipers/pads, it's just the disk which differs but that's not altered by the MKIV conversion... 8)

nope.... AFAIK they're the same, except they are a couple of mm thinner on the MKIV... :|

nope.... AFAIK they're the same, except they are a couple of mm thinner on the MKIV... :|

Yup, but the Mk4 calipers are alloy and a slightly different design, so they shouldn't rust up and cease like the standard C/Mk2 ones.

Post 2000 MK4s with the 180bhp Turbo and 150 tdi engines onwards use 256mm vented rear discs.

Pre 2000 MK4s use 9mm 239mm solid discs.

The confusion around which pads to use on the Corrado with MK4 calipers is all down to pad thickness, apart from that, they are all exactly the same shape. MK2 pads are the thinnest, 98 MK3 GTI pads are the ideals and the MK4 pads are the thickest, some 2mm thicker than MK2/Corrado.

I used MK4 pads and sanded them down a little bit and everything fitted perfectly (to avoid winding the piston in too far). Needed them for the Ragley trip and G&S didn't have the MK3 ones in, and I didn't want the mega thin MK2 ones.... so a bit of sanding of the MK4s didn't hurt :wink:

dinkus, I was on about the disks mate... :roll:

I know, I was agreeing, then saying the calipers are alloy blah blah ;)

Hey Rob hows tricks mate??

I'm running G60 cailpers n Disks, brakes work fine, although I'm thinking to fit braided hoses to now..

Not doing too bad mate. Saw you driving on saturday evening on the black horse road. I was in my mates golf cab. Your cars looking good mate, cambelt okay?

hey mate, i saw the golf..

cheers mate, camblets fine, just need to put the cover back on & get bottom pulley sorted.. also the exhaust is pissing me of, want rid of the thing!!!

Does the mark 4 golf rear brake setup work on the Corrado VR6? if so what are the parts required?

Yup, I've just had them put on my C.

You need the Mk4 rear calipers and Mk2->Mk4 adapter hoses. The whole lot is about £200 from C&R.

Ok, but I don't see why it's worth using the alloy mk4 calipers when mk3 ones have a redesigned handbrake release mechanism anyway and are a fraction of the price of the mk4 ones, which need special hoses too. mk3 ones are just a direct fit too with the standard hoses. There's not even any really worthwhile weight saving, apart from on your wallet :wink: .

I've already had mk 3 ones on my car longer than the original mk2 ones and they are still perfect.

David.

Ok, but I don't see why it's worth using the alloy mk4 calipers when mk3 ones have a redesigned handbrake release mechanism anyway and are a fraction of the price of the mk4 ones, which need special hoses too. mk3 ones are just a direct fit too with the standard hoses. There's not even any really worthwhile weight saving, apart from on your wallet :wink: .

I've already had mk 3 ones on my car longer than the original mk2 ones and they are still perfect.

David.

Ah, well go for Mk3 ones then. I went for the Mk4 ones because they're also alloy, which means they won't corrode to buggery like the Mk2/3 ones.

Every revision of rear caliper is met with the same "these won't sieze like the last ones" comments......well MK3 ones *do* sieze and MK4 ones are showing signs of breaking too, around the main seal apparently....so you can't win either way. And people are working on a MK5 conversion as we speak :shock:

It's not worth worrying about.. Both of the MK3 ones went on my VR......the result being pads rusted solid to the carriers and no heat and vibration from the calipers to work it loose.

The MK4 ones are superb.... I don't care if they're lighter or any better than MK3 ones or not, they work damn well and that's all that matters.

yup, the MKIII ones also suffer from a similar handbrake failure to the MKII ones... The MKIV ones don't and also WORK, which is still something the MKIII ones can't say.... :|